NCW to probe railway employee molestation case
Bundi: The National Commission for Women (NCW) has said it would initiate a probe into the alleged sexual harassment of a railway employee of Ajmer who tried to self-immolate herself.
"The commission is going to take cognisance in the matter of sexually harassed railway employee of Ajmer. The commission would first collect the facts and then investigate the matter," NCW chairperson Mamta Sharma told reporters here last evening.
Terming the sexual harassment of an employee by her two colleagues as a "a heinous crime", she said, "I would examine the matter personally and necessary action would be taken against the guilty".
Santosh Sharma, a senior booking clerk at Beawar junction under North-Western Railway (NWR) in Ajmer, self-immolated herself on Monday in front of the Divisional Railway Manager`s office, after she was allegedly sexually harassed by her two colleagues Sabarjeet Singh and Bhanwar Choudhary.
The victim is reported to have lodged a complaint to DRM and concerned police station but no action was taken, leading her to take the extreme step.
Meanwhile, Sharma said that the National Commission has already implemented policies to prevent harassment at offices in private sector, and the same would be enforced in government offices.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Exclusive chat with Ranchi's visually challenged singer Tumpa Kumari
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Kailash Vijayvargiya on Akshay Singh's death: Is a journalist bigger than me?
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Shahid Kapoor marriage: 500 guests have been invited for the wedding, says card designer
- Pakistan violates ceasefire in J&K, one BSF jawan killed in Kupwara
- Mass failure in DU exam: HRD Minister Smriti Irani asks officials to enquire
- Suspicious Iranian boat seized off Kerala coast, Pakistani ID card recovered