Nearly 100 antelopes perish due to dehydration in Raj
Jodhpur: Close to 100 antelopes have
perished in the region comprising Jodhpur and Barmer districts
of Rajasthan in the past week with a senior forest official
citing dehydration as the possible reason for the deaths.
"We identified habitats of antelopes and arranged water
but they are so spread out that some places are left out. But
now we have made it a point to provide water at every possible
place," Chief Conservator (Wildlife) M L Meena said.
The deaths have mainly occured in Adarsh Chawa village in
Barmer. The villagers allege that there was no sufficient
fodder and water for the animals to survive.
Yesterday, a team of forest officials visited another
village Bhacharna, where several endangered black bucks have
died, and conducted postmortem on five animals, the report of
which is awaited, he said.
The scattered carcass of 36 black bucks were buried in
the presence of the officials.
Meena said though dehydration may be the cause of the
deaths, the team sent viscera of the animals to the Wildlife
Institutes of Dehradun and Bareilly for detailed testing.
Meanwhile, activists of Bishnoi Tiger Vanya evam
Paryavaran Sanstha held a dharna before the Jodhpur Forest
Department office while carrying carcass of 25 Chinkaras
alleging negligence on the part of authorities.
"We have demanded the removal of the present DFO for his
negligence despite the regular deaths due to unavailability of
water in the villages," the NGO head Ram Niwas Budhnagar said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Outrage over Tanmay Bhatt's video mocking Lata Mangeshkar, Sachin Tendulkar
- VHP's women wing Durga Vahini gives arms training to children!
- Heavy rain disrupts flight operations in Delhi
- MP: Liquor mafia attacks police, journalists with weapons
- Attack on African nationals: Gen VK Singh slammed for his statement
- Khalistan terror camp running in Canada to attack Punjab; Justin Trudeau govt alerted
- Barack Obama could be Hillary's secret weapon in rallying Democratic support: Report
- Man arrested for trying to sell stolen car on e-commerce site
- Shocking! In Madhya Pradesh, child dies after given nitrous oxide instead of oxygen
- Hot alert! Katrina Kaif oozes sex appeal on the cover of Vogue India – See Pic