No bail for Asaram, court rejects plea for the 3rd time
Jodhpur: Self-styled godman Asaram Bapu`s bail plea was on Tuesday again rejected by a court here in the case of alleged sexual assault of a minor girl.
The District and Sessions Court while denying relief to 72-year-old Asaram, who is in jail since September, took into account the "serious" allegations against him and the order of the high court for holding day-to-day proceedings in the case.
"Besides this, the court also observed that that was no change in circumstances since the previous applications of bail were rejected in the lower court and then in the high court," counsel for the victim girl Manish Vyas told reporters here.
This was Asaram`s third bail plea and the first after filing of charge-sheet.
Asaram`s lawyers had, instead of moving bail application in Supreme Court, decided to wait till filing of the charge -sheet since the main argument of the prosecution while objecting to grant of bail earlier was that the investigation was pending and police had not filed the charge-sheet.
"We objected to the bail stating that he may affect the investigation by influencing witnesses," said prosecution counsel Pradhyumn Singh.
The court will tomorrow pronounce its order on hearing of the case through video conferencing from jail. It had completed the hearing on the application and kept the decision reserved for Wednesday.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- India to activate lazer walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- EPFO to launch new online system for pensions and PFs soon
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- REALITY CHECK of WhatsApp message: How common man can sign petition to declare Pakistan a terror state