`No stay on one per cent reservation for SBCs`
Jaipur: The Rajasthan High Court on Monday clarified that there is no stay on one per cent special reservation extended to Gujjars and other four communities under the `special backward classes` category in the state.
The order came when a division bench of the High Court was hearing an application of the Rajasthan government seeking certain modification of a court stay order dated January 29.
On January 29, the High Court had stayed the five per cent special reservation given to SBC candidates.
Last year, the Rajasthan government had decided to award five per cent reservation to Gujjars, Raika, Banjaaras, Gadiyalohar and Gadariya communities. The state already has 21 per cent reservation for OBCs and another 28 per cent for SC/STs.
In its order, the bench ruled, "What prevailed upon our mind while staying the provision of the law was that it was exceeding the upper ceiling of 50 per cent as fixed by the Supreme Court in various judgements."
"Further the prayer of PIL petitioners is also limited as they have challenged only the four per cent reservation that is in excess of the upper ceiling as such no modification of our stay order dated January 29, 2013 is required," the bench of Justices NK Jain and JK Ranka said, while rejecting the government`s application.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- China condemns Pakistan over Uri terror attack
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Uri attack: Israel ready to help India with cutting-edge technology to secure borders
- India's Rafale vs Pakistan's F-16: Why the French fighter jet is the best choice for dogfight
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- India's Balochistan push works, European Parliament warns Pakistan of sanctions over atrocities on Balochi people
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray