`No stay on one per cent reservation for SBCs`
Jaipur: The Rajasthan High Court on Monday clarified that there is no stay on one per cent special reservation extended to Gujjars and other four communities under the `special backward classes` category in the state.
The order came when a division bench of the High Court was hearing an application of the Rajasthan government seeking certain modification of a court stay order dated January 29.
On January 29, the High Court had stayed the five per cent special reservation given to SBC candidates.
Last year, the Rajasthan government had decided to award five per cent reservation to Gujjars, Raika, Banjaaras, Gadiyalohar and Gadariya communities. The state already has 21 per cent reservation for OBCs and another 28 per cent for SC/STs.
In its order, the bench ruled, "What prevailed upon our mind while staying the provision of the law was that it was exceeding the upper ceiling of 50 per cent as fixed by the Supreme Court in various judgements."
"Further the prayer of PIL petitioners is also limited as they have challenged only the four per cent reservation that is in excess of the upper ceiling as such no modification of our stay order dated January 29, 2013 is required," the bench of Justices NK Jain and JK Ranka said, while rejecting the government`s application.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Trump-Sharif conversation: Team Donald denies Pakistan's claims
- Aware of Chinese submarine deployment at Balochistan's Gwadar port, says Navy chief
- Hizbul commander Musa issues threats of attacks in new video
- 'Heart of Asia' Conference begins in Amritsar; Sartaj Aziz to pay a visit on Sunday
- Panel discussion over Mamata Banerjee's false allegations on Indian Army for political gains
- Gujarat businessman declares highest ever black money amount – Rs 13,000 crore!
- Army proves Mamata Banerjee wrong, releases letter showing West Bengal govt knew of exercise
- Rs 14,000 crore default case: Gujarat businessman detained, says money belongs to politicians, babus
- Manohar Parrikar exposes Mamata's attempt to politicise routine Army exercise in Kolkata
- Newly-wed couple Yuvraj Singh and Hazel Keech perform `bhangra` at Goa airport – Viral video