`No stay on one per cent reservation for SBCs`
Jaipur: The Rajasthan High Court on Monday clarified that there is no stay on one per cent special reservation extended to Gujjars and other four communities under the `special backward classes` category in the state.
The order came when a division bench of the High Court was hearing an application of the Rajasthan government seeking certain modification of a court stay order dated January 29.
On January 29, the High Court had stayed the five per cent special reservation given to SBC candidates.
Last year, the Rajasthan government had decided to award five per cent reservation to Gujjars, Raika, Banjaaras, Gadiyalohar and Gadariya communities. The state already has 21 per cent reservation for OBCs and another 28 per cent for SC/STs.
In its order, the bench ruled, "What prevailed upon our mind while staying the provision of the law was that it was exceeding the upper ceiling of 50 per cent as fixed by the Supreme Court in various judgements."
"Further the prayer of PIL petitioners is also limited as they have challenged only the four per cent reservation that is in excess of the upper ceiling as such no modification of our stay order dated January 29, 2013 is required," the bench of Justices NK Jain and JK Ranka said, while rejecting the government`s application.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Heart-wrenching reality of Kashmiri pandits
- DNA: Bengaluru's Mount Carmel college students show country's ideology to Rahul Gandhi
- DNA: Aamir Khan clarifies his love towards nation but sticks to previous statement
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- DNA: America standing against old nemesis Russia rather than ISIS
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Eat smart to slow down ageing and increase longevity!
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know