Nuclear fuel complex to come up in Rajasthan
New Delhi: India is setting up a second nuclear fuel complex to reprocess atomic fuel in view of growing number of atomic reactors in the country.
The NFC will come up next to Rawabhata nuclear plant in Kota, Rajasthan at a cost of Rs 2400 crore.
The proposal was cleared by Cabinet Committee on Security earlier this month.
Sources in the Department of Atomic Energy (DAE) said the new arrangement has been made keeping in mind the fuel supply required to meet the demand, which will be soon come up in the country.
Under the 12th Five Year Plan, India aims to take power generation capacity from nuclear energy to more than 17,300 MW. India currently generates over 5500 MW of electricity from nuclear power. The existing NFC in Hyderabad does not have the capacity to meet the growing demands of fuel of future reactors which will come up in the country by next decade.
"The new NFC in Kota will cater to atomic plants in north India. There are nuclear plants coming in Gorakhpur in Haryana, Jaitapur in Maharashtra and Mithi Virdhi in Gujarat in coming years which will require fuel," the official said.
Not only that, the existing nuclear plants capacity is also being augmented by adding new reactors. For instance, a 500 MW Prototype Fast Breeder Reactor (PFBR) is in its final stages. In Kakrpara, two more reactors (unit 3 and 4) are being constructed with capacity of 700 MW each, two more in Rawabhata (unit 7 and 8) with 700 MW of capacity each. In this case, there will a rise in demand for fuel.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Wbbse.org 10th Madhyamik Pariksha Results 2015: West Bengal Board (wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th, WB MP Results 2015 to be announced today shortly
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- West Bengal Board (wbbse.org & wbresults.nic.in) Class 10th Madhyamik Pariksha (MP) Results 2015 to be announced today at 10 AM
- Rajasthan Board RBSE 12th Inter Results 2015: BSER Ajmer (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in) Senior Secondary Class 12th Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today at 2 PM
- RBSE 12th Results 2015 (rajeduboard.nic.in & rajresults.nic.in): Rajasthan Board BSER Ajmer Senior Secondary Class 12th XII Intermediate Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 to be declared today on May 22
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- SC asks Haryana Police to quickly finish AIPMT paper leak probe