Opposition rues removal of minister status to heads of statutory bodies
Jaipur: Rajasthan Congress on Thursday opposed state government`s move of withdrawing ministerial status to chairmen of statutory bodies and boards appointed during the previous government, alleging it was done in a "vindictive manner".
Raising the issue in the state Assembly during Zero Hour, senior Congress leader Pradhyuman Singh told the House that the BJP government had withdrawn minister`s status given to the chairpersons of various commissions and boards in a vindictive manner on political grounds.
Singh said the statutory privileges laid down in the rules could not be stopped if once given, and in this situation these commission would be ineffective and their chairpersons would not be able to perform duties out of their office premises.
"This is not a good tradition and previous Congress government did not stop such privileges extended to chairpersons of commission appointed by the then BJP government till 2008," Singh said.
Another Congress MLA Govind Singh tried to further the debate, however, Speaker Kailash Meghwal did not allow him saying the ruling benches heard Singh`s voice and it was "enough".
The new BJP government has withdrawn minister status to Chairpersons of state Women Commission, State Minority Commission, Wakf Board, Rajasthan state Haj Committee, Nomadic Welfare Board, Boodan Gramdan Board, Animal Breeder Welfare Board and state level Magra Area Development.
These beneficiaries were given Minister of State privileges on November 30 last year by the previous Congress government.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is Pakistan behind increasing train accidents in India?
- DNA: Beaten by mob in Kolkata, US NRI vows never to return in India
- When will democracy get freedom from dynasty politics?
- Delhi: Taxi driver dies as BMW rams into car near IIT
- DNA: Has bad time started for American 'media' after Donald Trump became US President?
- Jallikattu stir: As it happened on Monday
- WATCH: Epic Staredown between Goldberg, The Undertaker and Brock Lesnar at WWE Raw
- Naresh Agrawal breaks silence on leaving Akhilesh Yadav-led Samajwadi Party and joining BJP
- India vs England, 3rd ODI: MS Dhoni felicitated at Eden Gardens — VIDEOS INSIDE
- International Space Station – When, where and how to spot ISS