Over 12,000 CPI workers detained for `rasta roko`
Thane: Over 12,000 CPI workers were detained for staging `rasta roko` agitations across the district demanding pension for senior citizens and protesting against the fuel price hike, police said.
The agitations took place in Thane city, Bhiwandi, Wada, Murbad, Padgha and Talasari in the district, police said adding that the protests were largely held in a peaceful manner.
The protesters were detained and later released, District Special Branch police official said.
The CPI is are demanding bonus of Rs 3,000 per month for all those, who have crossed age of 60. The agitators also condemned the rising prices of the domestic gas, petrol and diesel, party sources said.
"Participation in the agitation throughout the district was very overwhelming as it involved issues relating to day-to-day problems, which the government has failed to resolve," CPI district general secretary Vijay Kamble said.
In Thane city, a `dharna` was held in front of the District Collectorate to press for their demands.
Later, a CPI delegation met the District Collector and submitted a memorandum to him listing their demands.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Saudi Airlines flight halted for 3 days in Ahmedabad!
- Watch: Car crushed between 2 trucks in Telangana, 5 dead
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Mahresult.nic.in MSBSHSE HSC Results 2016: Maharashtra Board HSC Class 12th XII Exam Result 2016 declared
- Is ‘Junooniyat’, ‘Sanam Re 2’? Yami Gautam will tell you
- IPL 2016: Sunil Gavaskar thinks de Villiers is 'AB-CDE' - Find out why!
- Batla House encounter: Subramanian Swamy calls for NIA probe against Digvijay Singh
- Maruti Alto 800 Facelift: How different is the new model?