Police teams sent to Asaram Bapu`s ashrams
Jodhpur: Police teams fanned out to various ashrams of self-styled godman Asaram Bapu on Friday looking for evidence based on the statement of the girl, who has accused him of sexual exploitation, before he is quizzed.
Police Commissioner Biju George Joseph said that Asaram can be approached for interrogation in next 2-3 days.
"We have sent different police teams for different ashrams of Bapu, where the parents and girl, together or alone, have visited as mentioned by them to the police", said DCP (West) Ajay Pal Lamba.
He said that a team has also sent to Chhindwara Gurukul, where the girl has been studying for the past few years in order to verify the statements of the girl and her parents.
However, police have not approached Asaram till now.
"Of course that will be the part of investigation, but before that, we want to verify certain facts," said Joseph.
He said that he can be approached for interrogation in next 2-3 days.
Lamba said, "We are in the process of collecting scientific evidence in order to verify the allegation of the girl and then we will proceed to interrogation of Bapu".
He said that so far it has been proved that the girl along with her family and Asaram were present in the ashram during the period mentioned in the girl`s complaint but it is not yet certain that they met in isolation.
Meanwhile, the girl and her parents have left for their home in Shahjahanpur, Uttar Pradesh, under police security.
"We have seen off the family on Thursday night. We have asked the police there to ensure adequate security measures for the family", Lamba said.
An FIR was lodged against Asaram for allegedly raping the 15-year old girl in his ashram. However, a spokesperson of his ashram claimed the Asaram was innocent and was being implicated.
The controversial spiritual guru had earlier been in the news when two children living in his ashram in Gujarat had gone missing and were suspected to have been killed.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Haridwar: Hotel Radisson Blu sealed for polluting Ganga
- Delhi: Two killed in road accident in New Ashok Nagar
- Girl in Punjab's Pathankot quit studies for fear of eve-teasing
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Special: Furious over rising water crisis, people take to the streets
- Fiji: Floating island restaurant in middle of ocean
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Credibility of Prime Minister's Office restored by BJP, says Arun Jaitley
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- ISIS justifies raping slave girls, says Michelle Obama is 'worth $40'
- 'Unhappy' Celina Jaitley asks Sunny Leone to move out?
- Arvind Kejriwal to highlight AAP govt's 100 days work on Monday
- IPL 2015 Final: Mumbai Indians vs Chennai Super Kings - Preview
- BJP's plan for one-year celebration: 200 big rallies, 5,000 public meetings
- CBSE Results 2015: 10th board exam results to be declared on May 27
- Heatwave leaves 153 dead in Telangana, Andhra Pradesh
- IPL 8 Final: We need to be at our best against Mumbai, says Michael Hussey
- Jayalalithaa returns as Tamil Nadu CM: As it happened