President asks youth to uproot evil of dowry
Ralawata (Rajasthan): President Pratibha
Patil on Tuesday asked youngsters to help uproot the evil of dowry
and ensure that girls do not face problems in getting married
due to this practice.
Observing that the dowry practice has had a bad effect on
society, she said, "Because of this practice, brilliant girls
from ordinary households face problems in their marriage."
"It is time that this situation changes," she said at the
village here, about 35-kms from district headquarters of
She said young men will have to come forward and take
this challenge as a campaign.
Patil, who was here to unveil a statue of `Maharao
Shekhaji`, a local warrior and founding father of `Shekhawati`
region, described herself as a daughter-in-law of the
Noting that the recent Census has shown that there are
only 914 girls as compared to 1000 boys, she said, "This is a
subject of worry and this shows the discrimination towards the
girl child in our society".
"This has led to a peculiar situation and has brought
about deterioration in values and rise in crimes," she said.
"Although our country is developing, the development
process has to be correct," she said, adding the rural
populace should also get the benefits of development.
Patil was accompanied by Rajasthan Governor Shivraj
Patil, Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot, Union Ministers Sachin
Pilot and Jitendra Singh and Congress General Secretary
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Ceasefire violations by Pak: Should India carry out surgical strike part-II?
- Pak High Commission staffer grilled for spying, asked to leave India
- Panel discussion on the need of Pakistan's ambassador in India
- Beware! Fake currency notes floating in market this Diwali
- Intelligence agencies warn of firing by Pakistan along LoC, international border
- Pakistan's brutality exposed; `Black Day` protesters thrashed in PoK - Video goes viral
- Pakistan High Commission staffer, briefly detained for espionage, asked to leave India in 48 hours
- Diwali 2016: Dhanteras Puja timings, Tithi and Vidhi
- Pakistan declares Indian High Commission official persona non grata, asks him to leave country
- UPA govt thought of attacking Lashkar HQ, training camps after 26/11 strike, claims ex-NSA Shivshankar Menon