Prime Minister offers chadar at Ajmer Sharif
Ajmer: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today offered a chadar at the dargah of Sufi saint Moinuddin Chishti on the occasion of the 801st Urs.
Minister of State in PMO, V Narayanasamy offered the chadar on behalf of Singh.
The Prime Minister had also sent a message saying, "On the occasion of the Urs of Khawaja Moinuddin Chisti, it gives me great joy to extend to his numerous followers around the world my greetings and good wishes.
"As the Dargah Sharif in Ajmer prepares for this spiritual celebration, it is time to recall once more the rich life of this great and noble Sufi saint, whose timeless teachings emphasised respect for all religions.
"Today, as people begin to gather at Ajmer Sharif to pray for and seek spiritual deliverance, it is equally important to remember that Khawaja Moinuddin Chisti`s teachings have a practical relevance in the world we live in.
"It is only by respecting our fellow human beings in every way and by caring and providing for those who are in need that we can build a just, more humane and peaceful world. If we can do so, we would have truly lived up to the ideals of Khawaja Sahib," the message said.
Khadim Syed Gani Gurdeji offered prayers for the country`s progress and for the Prime Minister.
Union Ministers Narayanasamy, Sachin Pilot, Namo Narain Meena and MP Ashk Ali Tak came to Ajmer by helicopter to reach the Dargah.
They went to Gumbad Shareef through Jannati Darwaja to offer the chadar.
Health Minister A A Khan, State Minister for Education Naseem Akhter, MP Prabha Thakur and several Congress leaders and officials were also present.
Anjuman committee and Dargah committee have welcomed the Prime Minister`s offering.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Indrani attempted suicide or big security lapse by jail authorities?
- Beef row: Lalu Prasad Yadav contradicts his statements
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Team India, South Africa arrive for second T20 match
- Modi must be punished, he has cheated people: Ram Jethmalani
- Was Giani Zail Singh planning to topple Rajiv Gandhi govt in 1987?