Prime Minister offers chadar at Ajmer Sharif
Ajmer: Prime Minister Manmohan Singh today offered a chadar at the dargah of Sufi saint Moinuddin Chishti on the occasion of the 801st Urs.
Minister of State in PMO, V Narayanasamy offered the chadar on behalf of Singh.
The Prime Minister had also sent a message saying, "On the occasion of the Urs of Khawaja Moinuddin Chisti, it gives me great joy to extend to his numerous followers around the world my greetings and good wishes.
"As the Dargah Sharif in Ajmer prepares for this spiritual celebration, it is time to recall once more the rich life of this great and noble Sufi saint, whose timeless teachings emphasised respect for all religions.
"Today, as people begin to gather at Ajmer Sharif to pray for and seek spiritual deliverance, it is equally important to remember that Khawaja Moinuddin Chisti`s teachings have a practical relevance in the world we live in.
"It is only by respecting our fellow human beings in every way and by caring and providing for those who are in need that we can build a just, more humane and peaceful world. If we can do so, we would have truly lived up to the ideals of Khawaja Sahib," the message said.
Khadim Syed Gani Gurdeji offered prayers for the country`s progress and for the Prime Minister.
Union Ministers Narayanasamy, Sachin Pilot, Namo Narain Meena and MP Ashk Ali Tak came to Ajmer by helicopter to reach the Dargah.
They went to Gumbad Shareef through Jannati Darwaja to offer the chadar.
Health Minister A A Khan, State Minister for Education Naseem Akhter, MP Prabha Thakur and several Congress leaders and officials were also present.
Anjuman committee and Dargah committee have welcomed the Prime Minister`s offering.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: PM Narendra Modi addressing rally in Imphal
- Will Shiv Sena join hands with Congress to stop BJP from entering BMC?
- Why is Akhilesh Yadav encouraging dishonesty for votes?
- China 'threatened' by ISRO's record-setting achievement?
- Report: Are mobile smartphones more unhygienic than toilet seats?
- Virender Sehwag's reply to Kargil martyr's daughter has taken the Internet by storm
- Ind vs Aus: Mohammed Azharuddin says Jayant Yadav and Ishant Sharma should be replaced in next Test
- WATCH: Kieron Pollard's epic celebration after destroying Lahore Qalandars in Dubai
- Indian doctor rescued from ISIS recounts horror, says 'they forced me to watch videos, shot me thrice'
- Mitchell Johnson takes a dig at Anil Kumble over calling Steve O'Keefe 'steady'