Punjab, Rajasthan govts announce 7-day mourning for Gujral
Chandigarh/Jaipur: The Punjab and Rajasthan governments have declared a seven-day mourning to pay tribute to former prime minister I K Gujral.
Punjab Chief Minister Parkash Singh Badal today cancelled all his pre-scheduled public functions across the state till December 6.
These functions included inauguration of CII`s Agro Tech Fair here by him scheduled for tomorrow.
Badal also cancelled the inauguration of PHD Chamber`s annual International Trade Expo (PITEX)-2012 at Amritsar on December 6.
However, Badal would attend the inaugural function of Indian School of Business (ISB) at Mohali to be inaugurated by Union Finance Minister P Chidambaram tomorrow, the spokesman said.
Meanwhile, Rajasthan Cabinet at a meeting chaired by Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot passed a resolution expressing grief over the death of Gujral last evening and declared the mourning.
The state mourning in Rajasthan is from November 30 to December 6.
The tricolour would fly half mast and no entertainment activities will be held during this period.
The activities which were being held at different places (by the Rajasthan government authorities) have also been cancelled.
In Punjab, the light and sound programme on the legendary Sikh warrior Baba Banda Singh Bahadur by Sikh Virsa Vihar, Amritsar would be organised at Chapparchiri War Memorial in Mohali as per schedule tomorrow, but the chief minister would not participate in the function, an official spokesman said.
Likewise, Punjab Chief Minister has also cancelled the inauguration of various development projects in Bholath area on December 3 besides his two-day Sangat Darshan programme in Lambi assembly segment on December 4 and 5, he said.
"The fresh dates of the functions which had been either postponed or cancelled due to the state mourning in the respect of departed leader (Gujral) will be announced later on by the chief minister`s office," he said in Chandigarh.
Gujral, who passed away yesterday at the age of 92, was cremated today in New Delhi with state honours in the presence President Pranab Mukherjee, Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and several other leaders and dignitaries.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media exclusive chat with 'Welcome to Karachi' cast
- Reservation issue: Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others
- Zee Media exclusive interview with Haryana CM Manohar Lal Khattar
- UP Minister allegedly threatens, abuses Gonda businessman
- Manali: Heavy corruption found in environmental taxes
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Five unmanned parachute-like objects spotted over Mumbai airport
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 24, 2015
- Watch: Fast N Facts @ 7:30pm
- Dawood's intercepted phone calls prove yet again he is in Pakistan
- CBSE Board Class 12th Exam Results 2015 declared
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man?
- Jaipur girl Mini Rajpal wins Miss India Deaf 2015!
- Mumbai architecture creates double decker bus from scrap!
- One year of Modi govt: How satisfied is the common man? Part-2
- IPL 2015 Final: MI vs CSK - As it happened...
- CBSE.nic.in 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board (cbseresults.nic.in) Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced on May 25
- Heatwave continues in North India; death toll in Andhra Pradesh, Telangana more than 400
- IPL 2015 final: Mumbai Indians thrash Chennai Super Kings by 41 runs to lift second title
- Heatwave claims over 550 lives so far, Delhi saw hottest day
- LIVE - Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced shortly
- Check cbseresults.nic.in for CBSE Class 12 result 2015
- Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Results 2015: CBSE Board Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 declared
- Mathura rally: PM Modi slams 'corrupt' UPA regime, lauds NDA govt's efforts in past one year
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- CBSE Class 12 results out: Here's how you can check
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Police register case against Bainsla, 20 others as Gujjar agitation continues
- CBSE Board 12th XII Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic.in Class 12th XII Exam Results 2015 to be announced today at 12 Noon