Pushkar fair begins in Ajmer
Ajmer: The famous Pushkar fair, which attracts
lakhs of people including foreign tourists, began today with a
number of cultural programmes, group dance and camel race.
Rajasthan`s Minister of State for Information and Public
Relations Ashok Baiwa formally inaugurated the fair, which
takes place in the Hindu month of Kartika beginning on 8th day
of Lunar calendar and continues till full moon.
Over five lakh people are likely to visit the fair in
Pushkar, some 15-km from here, officials said.
A large number of people from rural areas have already
reached Pushkar, around 15 km from here, and brought along
with them camels and horses for livestock trading.
Cattle trading mostly takes place during the first half of
the festival period, while religious activities dominate the
Nearly 20,000 cattle are likely to be brought to the fair
for livestock trading, the officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- BMC elections 2017: Who will be the Mayor of Mumbai?
- Coimbatore: PM Narendra Modi unveils 112-foot tall bust of Lord Shiva
- Panel discussion on Farooq Abdullah's remark on terrorists
- Zee Media Exclusive: In conversation with BJP President Amit Shah