Pushkar fair begins in Ajmer
Ajmer: The famous Pushkar fair, which attracts
lakhs of people including foreign tourists, began today with a
number of cultural programmes, group dance and camel race.
Rajasthan`s Minister of State for Information and Public
Relations Ashok Baiwa formally inaugurated the fair, which
takes place in the Hindu month of Kartika beginning on 8th day
of Lunar calendar and continues till full moon.
Over five lakh people are likely to visit the fair in
Pushkar, some 15-km from here, officials said.
A large number of people from rural areas have already
reached Pushkar, around 15 km from here, and brought along
with them camels and horses for livestock trading.
Cattle trading mostly takes place during the first half of
the festival period, while religious activities dominate the
Nearly 20,000 cattle are likely to be brought to the fair
for livestock trading, the officials said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Panel discussion on 'Most Favoured Nation' status India accorded to Pakistan in 1996
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- 7 scenarios Pak will face directly if India scraps Indus Waters Treaty – Read details
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list