Pushkar fair begins in Ajmer
Ajmer: The famous Pushkar fair, which attracts lakhs of people including foreign tourists, began Wednesday with a number of cultural programmes, group dance and camel race.
Rajasthan MoS for Education Naseem Akhtar Insaaf formally inaugurated the fair, which takes place in the Hindu month of Kartika beginning on 8th day of Lunar calendar and continues till full moon.
The minister informed that the state government has for the first time allocated an additional budget of Rs two crore for the arrangements in the fair.
Lakhs of visitors are likely to visit the fair in Pushkar, some 15 kms from here, officials said.
Cattle trading mostly takes place during the first half of the festival period, while religious activities dominate the later half.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Is population control next on central govt's agenda after demonetization?
- India-Afghanistan thrash Pakistan over terrorism issue in Heart of Asia conference
- Gujarat: Goods train engine catches fire in Surat
- Watch: Tracing the journey of late Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa from films to politics
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition extremely grave
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Fake or Real? 'Alien animal' caught on Karnataka-Kerala border
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- People want to know whether Jayalalithaa is alive or not; PM Narendra Modi must intervene, says expelled AIADMK MP Sasikala Pushpa
- Tamil Nadu CM Jayalalithaa's condition continues to remain critical after suffering cardiac arrest