Pushkar fair begins in Ajmer
Ajmer: The famous Pushkar fair, which attracts lakhs of people including foreign tourists, began Wednesday with a number of cultural programmes, group dance and camel race.
Rajasthan MoS for Education Naseem Akhtar Insaaf formally inaugurated the fair, which takes place in the Hindu month of Kartika beginning on 8th day of Lunar calendar and continues till full moon.
The minister informed that the state government has for the first time allocated an additional budget of Rs two crore for the arrangements in the fair.
Lakhs of visitors are likely to visit the fair in Pushkar, some 15 kms from here, officials said.
Cattle trading mostly takes place during the first half of the festival period, while religious activities dominate the later half.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dausa car crash: Hema Malini injured, child killed; MP's driver booked for over speeding
- Islamic State trying to gain foothold in Pakistan-occupied Kashmir: Army
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Kapil Sharma shares pic with Salman Khan; ‘Comedy Nights...’ to go off air
- Wimbledon: Novak Djokovic, Maria Sharapova cruise into last 16