Raj Assembly adjourned over alleged land deals row
Jaipur: The Rajasthan Assembly witnessed noisy scenes Wednesday over the issue of land deals in Bikaner and Jaisalmer with opposition alleging that it had been enabled by undue favours extended by the state government.
Opposition BJP staged a walk out over the issue and also protested in the well of the House, leading to the House being adjourned for the day.
BJP legislators Kiran Maheshwari and Vasudev Devnani moved slips to the Chair urging that the House take up the issue.
However, when Deputy Speaker Ramnarayan Meena said he could not entertain their request as the the matter had been raised once yesterday, opposition members protested.
They argued that the issue raised yesterday was confined to the Kolayat area of Bikaner while today the discussion would also touch upon land deals in Phalodi, Jaisalmer and Bikaner.
The arguments continued even after Speaker Deependra Singh took the Chair as he, too, refused to allow a discussion as demanded by the opposition.
Devnani and Maheshwari staged a dharna in the well of the House even as the Speaker allowed BJP`s Kailash Bhansali to speak on a separate issue.
However, Bhansali spoke on the issue of alleged land purchase following which the entire opposition created an uproar and moved to the well of the House shouting slogans against Congress and its chief Sonia Gandhi`s son-in-law Robert Vadra.
There had been pandemonium in the House yesterday when BJP members alleged that the state government had unduly favoured Vadra in land deals in the state.
Congress members today responded with counter-allegations that a BJP leader had bought land in a prohibited area near the border when the party had been in power prior to the Ashok Gehlot government in the state.
BJP members staged a walk out and were followed by CPI(M) MLAs Amra Ram, Pema Ram and Pawan Duggal who accused both Congress and BJP of being involved in land scams.
Upon their return, BJP members again stormed the well of the House pressing for a discussion on land acquisition, leading the Speaker to adjourn the House for the day.
Earlier, during Question Hour, Hanuman Beniwal, who has been suspended from the BJP legislature party, staged a brief dharna in the well of the House demanding action against the principal of Bikaner engineering college who is accused of corruption and misuse of official powers.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Manthan: Expert's tips to avoid stomach gas, constipation
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared