Raj govt asked to reply plea challenging promotion of SC/STs
Jaipur: The Rajasthan High Court Wednesday granted three weeks time to the state government to reply to a plea challenging its notification which gave protection to SC/ST employees promoted in excess to the quota fixed for them.
The division bench of Chief Justice Arun Mishra and Justice Meena V Gomber, however, refused to stay the operation of the same at initial stage.
Based on the notification dated September 11 last year, the Rajasthan government recently decided to start the process of promotion in various services including promotion of SC/ST employees from Rajasthan Administrative Services to IAS.
Petitioner `Samta Andolan Samiti` challenged the notification saying the Bhatnagar Committee has prepared its report on the basis of sampling method in 19 services of the state which is not a proper method.
It has also been contended that out of the 19 services, there is excess promotion of reserved class employees in 16 services -- a fact that has not been accounted for by the committee.
The Bhatnagar Committee has not made a study of the impact of inclusion of SC/ST employees in general category in promotions, the petitioner alleged.
"We have been asked to file reply specifying the reasons to take decision. The petitioner has based its entire petition on a challenge to the report of Bhatnagar Committee but no prayer has been made to not implement its recommendation and the decision of government is based on the same," Additional Advocate General S N Kumawat said.
"The bench was of the view that the promotion process was a beneficial action taken by the government and cannot be interfered with at initial stage by staying the impugned notification," Kumawat added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- CM Yogi’s cleanliness drive: UP cops clean up police stations
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister