Raj MPs meet PM, raise issue of Punjab not releasing water
New Delhi: A delegation of Rajasthan
Congress MPs today met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and
sought his intervention to resolve the issue of Punjab
government`s "failure" to release water to the state.
The team, led by Jaipur MP Mahesh Joshi and comprising
Sachin Pilot and Girija Vyas among others, submitted a letter
to Singh saying Rajasthan, which receives water from Ranjit
Sagar dam in Punjab and Bhakhra and Pong dams (both under
control of Bhakra-Vyas Management Board), has not been
receiving its annual share of 72,248 cusec water from Punjab.
The board had fixed the actual quantity of water from
Ravi and Beas, which was to be shared between the two states.
The state has been requesting the board since last month
that if Punjab is not able to release water for Rajasthan,
then the same quantity should be made available to it from
Pong and Bhakhra dams, which would not affect Punjab`s share.
Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot has also written a
letter to the Prime Minister over the issue, saying that
despite a water sharing agreement between the two states,
Punjab has "failed" to release water for Rajasthan.
He said due to poor rainfall, 27 districts of Rajasthan
are facing drought-like situation. "Against daily requirement
of 2,200 cusec, the state is only receiving 1,140 cusec, which
has also affected supply to Indira Gandhi canal. This has not
only affected the standing crops of farmers but may also
create a drinking water crisis," he said.
He urged Singh to direct the Union Water Resources and
Power Ministries to prevail upon the board for releasing water
for Rajasthan. Meanwhile, Singh is said to have assured the
delegation of MPs that he would look into the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Is Pakistan trying to divert India from issue of terrorism?
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming
- SSC CGL 2016 exam dates out; read the eligibility criteria, registration details
- Bangladesh scraps China-proposed deep sea port, India offers help to develop another
- PSL 2016 T20, Match 7: Quetta Gladiators vs Peshawar Zalmi – Key players
- Deepika Padukone reads letter written by father – Watch - You will be moved to tears