Raj MPs meet PM, raise issue of Punjab not releasing water
New Delhi: A delegation of Rajasthan
Congress MPs today met Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and
sought his intervention to resolve the issue of Punjab
government`s "failure" to release water to the state.
The team, led by Jaipur MP Mahesh Joshi and comprising
Sachin Pilot and Girija Vyas among others, submitted a letter
to Singh saying Rajasthan, which receives water from Ranjit
Sagar dam in Punjab and Bhakhra and Pong dams (both under
control of Bhakra-Vyas Management Board), has not been
receiving its annual share of 72,248 cusec water from Punjab.
The board had fixed the actual quantity of water from
Ravi and Beas, which was to be shared between the two states.
The state has been requesting the board since last month
that if Punjab is not able to release water for Rajasthan,
then the same quantity should be made available to it from
Pong and Bhakhra dams, which would not affect Punjab`s share.
Rajasthan Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot has also written a
letter to the Prime Minister over the issue, saying that
despite a water sharing agreement between the two states,
Punjab has "failed" to release water for Rajasthan.
He said due to poor rainfall, 27 districts of Rajasthan
are facing drought-like situation. "Against daily requirement
of 2,200 cusec, the state is only receiving 1,140 cusec, which
has also affected supply to Indira Gandhi canal. This has not
only affected the standing crops of farmers but may also
create a drinking water crisis," he said.
He urged Singh to direct the Union Water Resources and
Power Ministries to prevail upon the board for releasing water
for Rajasthan. Meanwhile, Singh is said to have assured the
delegation of MPs that he would look into the matter.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- Note ban: One month on, long queues continue at banks, ATMs
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video