Raj police sets example in solving rape cases
Jaipur: Amid growing demand for speedier justice in cases of crime against women, some young IPS officers in Rajasthan have set an example by submitting chargesheets in rape cases in a short span of time.
Barmer police submitted chargesheet in eight days, while Bundi and Sirohi police, both headed by woman IPS officers, did it in just 3 and 4 days respectively.
In Bundi, a labourer, Shyam Sunder allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl repeatedly at her residence, which came into light on January 4.
The accused was absconding, but was soon arrested under appropriate sections of IPC and Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act- 2012.
"The case was given utmost priority. I assigned the case to a woman officer and the magistrate was also a woman. This ensured things moved swiftly," Superintendent of Police(SP) Bundi, Priti Chandra told reporters here today.
Chargesheet in the case was submitted on January 7. "It was not for setting a record, but an effort to develop a positivity among people for our system," Priti said.
Echoing similar views, SP Sirohi, Lovely Katiyar said that filing of chargesheet in 95 hours in a rape case was an example for those who are driven by negative thoughts.
Sirohi police submitted the chargesheet on January 4 against a 50-year-old Jagya, for allegedly raping a woman. The case was registered on December 31.
Barmer police submitted a chargesheet in eight days on January 3 against Manohar, Narendra and Shera Ram, who allegedly raped a 14-year-old girl in December 2012. "It is the first case in Barmer when the chargesheet in a rape case was submitted in 8 days," Barmer SP, Rahul Barhat claimed.
The Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot, in a meeting last month, directed senior officials to expedite investigation in such cases following which the police headquarters issued a 17-point circular to all district SPs directing them to take specific measures to check crime against women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Heat ave continues in India, death toll climbs to over 1,400
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Megastar Amitabh Bachchan slapped with Rs 1 crore notice
- Kenyan lawyer offers to marry Barack Obama's daughter Malia
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- Maggi likely to face ban in India!
- Salman Khan accident files burnt in Mantralaya fire
- AIB: The 'Third Gender's right to dignity'
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads- Part II
- CBSE Class 10 (Class X Board) Result 2015 on cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in at 2 pm
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Hours after attacking NDA govt, Manmohan Singh meets PM Narendra Modi
- Check cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.in for CBSE Class 10 X Board Result at 2 pm
- PMO website revamped, now send e-mail to PM Modi directly
- GUJCET Results 2015 declared on gseb.org
- Pakistan break Team India's long-standing ODI record at home soil
- Centre moves SC against Delhi HC order on LG's powers; hearing on Friday
- Gujjar agitation: Centre sending additional forces to vacate rail tracks, say sources
- Islamic State attracts young recruits with free honeymoon, stipend for family
- MSBSHSE Class XII HSC results 2015: Maharashtra Class 12th Board results declared on mahresult.nic.in
- Former Bihar CM Jitan Ram Manjhi meets PM Modi, triggers tie-up speculation
- Log on to cbseresults.nic.in, cbse.nic.in at 2 pm for Class 10th Result 2015