Raj police sets example in solving rape cases
Jaipur: Amid growing demand for speedier justice in cases of crime against women, some young IPS officers in Rajasthan have set an example by submitting chargesheets in rape cases in a short span of time.
Barmer police submitted chargesheet in eight days, while Bundi and Sirohi police, both headed by woman IPS officers, did it in just 3 and 4 days respectively.
In Bundi, a labourer, Shyam Sunder allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl repeatedly at her residence, which came into light on January 4.
The accused was absconding, but was soon arrested under appropriate sections of IPC and Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act- 2012.
"The case was given utmost priority. I assigned the case to a woman officer and the magistrate was also a woman. This ensured things moved swiftly," Superintendent of Police(SP) Bundi, Priti Chandra told reporters here today.
Chargesheet in the case was submitted on January 7. "It was not for setting a record, but an effort to develop a positivity among people for our system," Priti said.
Echoing similar views, SP Sirohi, Lovely Katiyar said that filing of chargesheet in 95 hours in a rape case was an example for those who are driven by negative thoughts.
Sirohi police submitted the chargesheet on January 4 against a 50-year-old Jagya, for allegedly raping a woman. The case was registered on December 31.
Barmer police submitted a chargesheet in eight days on January 3 against Manohar, Narendra and Shera Ram, who allegedly raped a 14-year-old girl in December 2012. "It is the first case in Barmer when the chargesheet in a rape case was submitted in 8 days," Barmer SP, Rahul Barhat claimed.
The Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot, in a meeting last month, directed senior officials to expedite investigation in such cases following which the police headquarters issued a 17-point circular to all district SPs directing them to take specific measures to check crime against women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysing the importance of Hindi language in our society
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- IT raids Delhi's Axis bank branch, finds Rs 100 cr deposited in 44 fake accounts
- Demonetisation: Majority of ATMs still out of cash
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Virat Kohli makes fun of Alastair Cook after England exhaust both DRS wrongly, watch video
- Kapil Sharma is sweating it out! See pics
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional