Raj police sets example in solving rape cases
Jaipur: Amid growing demand for speedier justice in cases of crime against women, some young IPS officers in Rajasthan have set an example by submitting chargesheets in rape cases in a short span of time.
Barmer police submitted chargesheet in eight days, while Bundi and Sirohi police, both headed by woman IPS officers, did it in just 3 and 4 days respectively.
In Bundi, a labourer, Shyam Sunder allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl repeatedly at her residence, which came into light on January 4.
The accused was absconding, but was soon arrested under appropriate sections of IPC and Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act- 2012.
"The case was given utmost priority. I assigned the case to a woman officer and the magistrate was also a woman. This ensured things moved swiftly," Superintendent of Police(SP) Bundi, Priti Chandra told reporters here today.
Chargesheet in the case was submitted on January 7. "It was not for setting a record, but an effort to develop a positivity among people for our system," Priti said.
Echoing similar views, SP Sirohi, Lovely Katiyar said that filing of chargesheet in 95 hours in a rape case was an example for those who are driven by negative thoughts.
Sirohi police submitted the chargesheet on January 4 against a 50-year-old Jagya, for allegedly raping a woman. The case was registered on December 31.
Barmer police submitted a chargesheet in eight days on January 3 against Manohar, Narendra and Shera Ram, who allegedly raped a 14-year-old girl in December 2012. "It is the first case in Barmer when the chargesheet in a rape case was submitted in 8 days," Barmer SP, Rahul Barhat claimed.
The Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot, in a meeting last month, directed senior officials to expedite investigation in such cases following which the police headquarters issued a 17-point circular to all district SPs directing them to take specific measures to check crime against women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Vyapam Scam: IMA president Sudhir Tiwari fears life threat
- Vyapam Scam: Mystery over journalist Akshay Singh's death continues
- Panel discussion on RSS's 'Muslim Rashtriya Manch' first Iftaar party
- MPs spend more than Rs 25 cr taxpayers' money on study tours: DNA reports
- Jhansi police launches ‘Citizen Cop’ android app
- Vyapam scam: MP medical college dean found dead in hotel, body sent for post-mortem
- Vyapam scam: Last rites of journalist Akshay Singh performed; MP CM assures of SIT probe
- Photographer captures International Space Station flying across moon
- PM Narendra Modi holds talks with Uzbek leader
- Akshay Singh's death case: MP CM assures fair probe, lambasts Oppn over Vyapam scam