Raj police sets example in solving rape cases
Jaipur: Amid growing demand for speedier justice in cases of crime against women, some young IPS officers in Rajasthan have set an example by submitting chargesheets in rape cases in a short span of time.
Barmer police submitted chargesheet in eight days, while Bundi and Sirohi police, both headed by woman IPS officers, did it in just 3 and 4 days respectively.
In Bundi, a labourer, Shyam Sunder allegedly raped a 13-year-old girl repeatedly at her residence, which came into light on January 4.
The accused was absconding, but was soon arrested under appropriate sections of IPC and Protection of Children from Sexual Offences Act- 2012.
"The case was given utmost priority. I assigned the case to a woman officer and the magistrate was also a woman. This ensured things moved swiftly," Superintendent of Police(SP) Bundi, Priti Chandra told reporters here today.
Chargesheet in the case was submitted on January 7. "It was not for setting a record, but an effort to develop a positivity among people for our system," Priti said.
Echoing similar views, SP Sirohi, Lovely Katiyar said that filing of chargesheet in 95 hours in a rape case was an example for those who are driven by negative thoughts.
Sirohi police submitted the chargesheet on January 4 against a 50-year-old Jagya, for allegedly raping a woman. The case was registered on December 31.
Barmer police submitted a chargesheet in eight days on January 3 against Manohar, Narendra and Shera Ram, who allegedly raped a 14-year-old girl in December 2012. "It is the first case in Barmer when the chargesheet in a rape case was submitted in 8 days," Barmer SP, Rahul Barhat claimed.
The Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot, in a meeting last month, directed senior officials to expedite investigation in such cases following which the police headquarters issued a 17-point circular to all district SPs directing them to take specific measures to check crime against women.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
More from Health
- Discussion over BJP's enormous victory in Maharashtra civic polls
- UP polls: Top 5 highlights of PM Modi's speech in Bahraich
- NASA discovers seven Earth-like planets orbiting a single star
- Is Samajwadi Party-Congress alliance just a compulsion for Akhilesh Yadav?
- BMC election results 2017: Shiv Sena ahead as single largest party
- Reliance Jio Vs Airtel free data plan: A comparison
- BMC election 2017 results: As it happened
- Maharashtra Civic Poll Results 2017: As it happened on Thursday
- WATCH: When Matthew Renshaw left everybody surprised by 'retiring ill' on Day 1 of India-England Test
- Solapur Municipal Corporation, Congress bastion, wrested by BJP