Rajasthan Assembly adjourned sine die
Jaipur: Rajasthan Assembly was on Wednesday
adjourned sine die after passing the state budget even as
opposition members staged a peaceful sit-in in the well of the
House against the ruling congress party`s "attitude".
The House also passed 11 bills, including approval to
Rajasthan Appropriation Bill 2011. IPL matches in the state
this year were also exempted from entertainment tax.
Opposition BJP, CPI (M) and independent members staged
peaceful dharna in the well as soon as the House assembled at
1100 hrs. They were also carrying anti-government posters.
Soon after, Speaker Deependra Singh Shekhawat adjourned the
house for an hour.
On resumption, the situation remained unchanged which
led to another adjournment.
When the House reassembled, the speaker took up
business and the government announced the approval of six
per cent DA to employees and pensioners with effect from
January 1, 2011 and setting up of 200 new veterinary hospitals
in the next financial year. It also announced to exempt all
footwear but leather-made from tax.
Tax rate was also reduced from 14 per cent to 5 per
cent on unbranded cake and pastries.
Later, Leader of Opposition Vasundhara Raje told
reporters that the entire opposition will go to the President
to submit a memorandum against the government.
"What the speaker done today is illegal and against
parliamentary customs. The government has no courage to face
people and opposition, so the government decided to cut short
the business of the House, which was earlier scheduled up to
April 6, in Business Advisory Meeting yesterday," Raje said.
"We opposed it yesterday but they said that the
government has already decided so we boycotted. Today, we were
protesting against this attitude of the government. The
government did not let the House function and it is very
Opposition will meet President tomorrow to submit the
memorandum and "our demand is to declare the session illegal
and call the session again," Raje said.
The House passed 11 bills including Rajasthan
Appropriation (No.2) Bill- 2011, Rajasthan Stamp (Amendment)
bill-2011, Rajasthan Fiscal Responsibility And Budget
Management (Amendment) Bill 2011, Rajasthan Land Revenue
(Amendment) Bill-2011 and Rajasthan Agricultural Produce
Markets (Second Amendment) Bill-2011.
Deputy Leader of Opposition Ghanshyam Tiwari said it
was "very unfortunate" that 11 bills were passed in a day and
without any debate and argument.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- RIP Amma: Jayalalithaa dies after 75 days in hospital; Tamil Nadu mourns
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!