Rajasthan Assembly awards woman inspector one-year jail
Jaipur: The Rajasthan Assembly on Thursday sentenced a woman police inspector to one month`s rigorous imprisonment after finding her guilty of breach of house privileges, officials said.
Inspector Ratna Gutpa has been accused of misbehaving with the members of state assembly`s woman and child development committee that went to inspect a police station where she was posted in 2010.
The committee members complained about the officer`s alleged misbehaviour to the speaker following which the matter was referred to the Assembly`s committee on privileges.
The officer ignored summons repeatedly sent by the committee over the past one year. Instead, Gupta challenged the summons in the Rajasthan High Court.
The High Court issued a notice to the Assembly. But the house on October 12 last year directed police to arrest Gupta and produce her before it. The Assembly said the High Court notice would not be replied to.
"As Gutpa had ignored as many as four summons sent by the committee, the Assembly found her guilty and sentenced her to one-month rigorous imprisonment," said a senior official in the Assembly.
A fresh arrest warrant was issued against Gupta after the motion against her sentence was approved by the Assembly.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- What Muslims think about Ram Mandir issue?
- Shiv Sena MP Ravindra Gaikwad barred from flying after his assault on AI staffer
- Martyrs' Day: Nation remembers Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev and Rajguru for their sacrifice
- London terrorist attack leaves five dead, including police officer
- Do not put unnecessary pressure on police: PM Modi tells UP BJP MPs
- Hukumdev Narain Yadav to be new Vice-President of India?
- 400 Trinamool Congress members including many TMC stalwarts join BJP in Tripura
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Mulayam Singh Yadav's son Prateek, his daughter-in-law Aparna meet UP CM Yogi Adityanath - Know why