Jaipur: Congress on Thursday staged a walkout in the Rajasthan Assembly protesting against what it called discontinuation of relief package, including the jobs offered on compassionate ground, to next of the kin of the victims from the state in last year's floods in Uttarakhand.
The main Opposition party alleged that Vasundhara Raje government stopped the scheme abruptly which was started by the previous Congress government.
Deputy-Whip Govind Singh Dotasar of Congress raised the issue during Zero Hour and sought revival of the relief package and jobs.
He alleged that the BJP government was being "insensitive" towards the families of the flood victims.
"The BJP was collecting donation for J&K flood victims by rejecting Uttarakhand victims," Dotasar, who was joined by a number of party MLAs, said.
As the Speaker Kailsah Meghwal asked Dotasar to stop repeating the allegations, he protested and walked out of the House with other MLAs.
After Congress' walkout, the minister in charge and Panchayati Raj Minister GC Kataria clarified that Rajasthan had provided a cash relief of Rs 5 lakh which he claimed was highest in the country.
"As no other state provided a government job on compassionate ground to Uttarakhand victims' kin, it was not proper to initiate a new system that could bring lot of financial burden in future," the minister said.
The state government collected information from every state and then took the decision, he said.