Rajasthan: Contaminated IV fluid kills 12 pregnant women, probe ordered
Jodhpur: At least 12 pregnant women died of excessive bleeding at a government run hospital here after they were allegedly administered contaminated IV fluids, officials said on Thursday.
A probe has been launched into the incident. Though the authorities are tight lipped over the incident, sources in the Ummaid Hospital told a news agency that the authorities have begun an enquiry into whether the contamination was hospital-acquired or it had come from the manufacturer.
Family members of the women shouted slogans against the hospital authorities and blocked a road to the hospital on Thursday after they expressed dissatisfaction over the hospital authorities` explanation over the deaths.
"We have lost our daughter... they are unable to give us any explanation... it is a shame," said R K Purohit, a relative of a women who died on Wednesday.
Upset over the deaths in his home constituency, Rajasthan chief minister Ashok Gehlot has summoned hospital superintendent Narendra Changani to Jaipur to give a report.
"I have asked hospital authorities to give me details. I have also asked them to give me a report from where these glucose drips were bought and how the contamination was generated," said Gehlot.
"Microbiological examination of the Indore-based company`s IV fluids has suggested presence of some bacteria. We have banned further use of the particular batch of IV fluids," hospital superintendent Changani told media persons.
"A medical team consisting of a microbiologist and a gynaecologist from the Sawai Man Singh Hospital in Jaipur has been sent to Jodhpur for further investigation," said a senior officer in the state`s medical and health department.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of problems of unemployement in India
- DNA: Analysis of how car makers are playing with people's life
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda
- DNA: Analysis of increasing trade of terror, laudanum and fake currency in Malda- Part II
- DNA: A plane landed at -100 degree celsius to rescue a worker
- Sterling, stocks skid as Brexit result agonisingly close
- REVEALED: Anil Kumble's first message to India captains Mahendra Singh Dhoni, Virat Kohli after appointment
- 'Mirzya' trailer alert! Harshvardhan Kapoor spells enchanting cast in a splendid tale by Rakeysh Omprakash Mehra
- RSS chief Mohan Bhagwat to share dais with Leonardo DiCaprio in UK: Reports
- Oops! Salman Khan mocks Hollywood return Priyanka Chopra and Deepika Padukone, but WHY?