Rajasthan court sentences rape, murder convict to death
Jaipur: A court in Rajasthan Tuesday sentenced to a man to death after convicting him of raping and murdering an 8-year-old mentally-challenged girl, a lawyer said.
The court of District and Sessions Judge Chandra Shekhar in Rajsamand, some 350 km from Jaipur, handed out the capital punishment to 25-year-old Manoj Singh, public prosecutor Pradeep Kumar told a news agency.
"The incident occurred on Jan 17 this year. Manoj stayed in a rented accommodation near the girl`s house in Kankroli town near Rajsamand. The girl`s father is a vegetable vendor and he used to buy vegetables from him," said the lawyer.
The lawyer added that Manoj abducted the girl while she was plying the vegetable cart of her father.
"He took her to an isolated place and raped her. He then hit her head on a stone repeatedly, killing her. Manoj then escaped from the spot, but however, he was arrested the same day," said the lawyer.
Police filed the charge sheet in the case in February.
"Judge Chandra Shekhar convicted him today (Tuesday) and handed out capital punishment," said the lawyer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Actor Irrfan Khan stirs controversy over statement on Ramadan rituals
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution?
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part II
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part III
- Is triple divorce system an infringement of the Indian Constitution? - Part IV
- As Virat Kohli and co prepare for WI tour, MS Dhoni enjoys bike ride in Ranchi rain
- Ramayana had another heroine besides SITA – Know more about her contributions
- Samajwadi Party 'goondaraj' in UP? Azam Khan slaps Project Engineer
- This gene puts you at increased kidney disease risk
- 7th Pay Commission: Here's why the latest bonanza won't amuse govt staffers much