Rajasthan court sentences rape, murder convict to death
Jaipur: A court in Rajasthan Tuesday sentenced to a man to death after convicting him of raping and murdering an 8-year-old mentally-challenged girl, a lawyer said.
The court of District and Sessions Judge Chandra Shekhar in Rajsamand, some 350 km from Jaipur, handed out the capital punishment to 25-year-old Manoj Singh, public prosecutor Pradeep Kumar told a news agency.
"The incident occurred on Jan 17 this year. Manoj stayed in a rented accommodation near the girl`s house in Kankroli town near Rajsamand. The girl`s father is a vegetable vendor and he used to buy vegetables from him," said the lawyer.
The lawyer added that Manoj abducted the girl while she was plying the vegetable cart of her father.
"He took her to an isolated place and raped her. He then hit her head on a stone repeatedly, killing her. Manoj then escaped from the spot, but however, he was arrested the same day," said the lawyer.
Police filed the charge sheet in the case in February.
"Judge Chandra Shekhar convicted him today (Tuesday) and handed out capital punishment," said the lawyer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- UP: Jammu-bound Muri Express derails in Kaushambi
- Delhi's 2015 CBSE Class 12 topper M Gayatri talks to Zee Media
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- No respite from heat for next three days: IMD
- One year of Modi govt: PM addresses mega rally in Mathura
- DNA: Sikh man in New Zealand removed his turban to help injured kid
- Police registers case after parachute-like objects were spotted over Mumbai airport
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- Growing medical negligence in Delhi's AIIMS
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- DNA: AIIMS doctor removes both kidneys of minor, claims she had only one
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Check WBBSE (wbresults.nic.in) Class 12th Results: West Bengal Board (wbscvet.org) Higher Secondary Class XII Vocational Results to be declared today at 4 PM
- Two dead, over 100 injured as Muri Express derails in UP; Prabhu announces Rs 2 lakhs ex-gratia for kin of dead
- PM Narendra Modi's Mathura rally: As it happened
- Public rally on 100 days of AAP govt: As it happened
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- Unidentified flying objects spotted over Mumbai airport not motorised: Home Department
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- China doesn't recognise 'illegal' McMahon Line: Beijing responds to NSA Ajit Doval
- CBSE 10th Results 2015 to be declared on May 27
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- Is there life after death?