Rajasthan declares drought in 5 districts; Karnataka in 142 talukas: Pawar
New Delhi: Rajasthan has declared drought in 5 districts while Karnataka has done so in 142 talukas, Parliament was informed on Tuesday.
"So far, Karnataka and Rajasthan have declared drought in 142 out of the 176 taluks and in 5 out of 33 districts in the states, respectively," Agriculture Minister Sharad Pawar said in a written reply to Lok Sabha.
According to the report of India Meteorological Department(IMD), as on August 12, overall rainfall deficit for the country as a whole was 16 per cent, Pawar said.
Excess rainfall has been reported from 1 sub-division, normal in 17, deficient in 13 and scanty rainfall has been reported in 3 sub-divisions out of the total 36 sub-divisions in the country, the minister said quoting IMD data.
He said sowing of crops have been hit by weak monsoon.
"Against an average area of 105.70 million hectares under kharif cultivation in the entire country, 85.4 million hectares are normally sown by August 8. This year 80.2 million hectares have been covered under various crops by August 8, 2012," he said.
The minister said the Centre has constituted central teams to visit the states and assess the situation.
On steps taken by the government, Pawar said government has introduced diesel subsidy scheme, enhancement of seed subsidy, up-scaling the central sector scheme on feed and fodder and waiver of import duty on oil cakes.
In addition, the government is providing interim assistance under calamity component of National Rural Drinking Programme (NRDWP), releasing funds under NRDWP and Integrated Watershed Management Programme, etc., he added.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - Huge fire breaks out at petrol pump in Kota, Rajasthan
- NSG now 'nine times' stronger; receives technological strength from 12 countries!
- Bihar: Congress leader Brajesh Pandey accused of running sex racket
- BJP MP Yogi Adityanath compares Akhilesh Yadav with 'Aurangzeb' and 'Kans'
- Acrimonious remarks of political leaders during UP elections
- Reliance Jio's tariff plan from April 1; voice calls, roaming to be free: Mukesh Ambani
- Virat Kohli thanks sprint legend Usain Bolt for congratulating him on 'record' Puma deal
- BMC exit poll: BJP predicted to score big in neck-and-neck battle with Shiv Sena
- IPL 2017 Auction: Reaction-filled Twitter erupts with emotions!
- Reliance Jio Prime Membership at Rs 99: All you need to know about the plan