Rajasthan: Doppler weather radar operational
Jaipur: With an aim to provide more specific
weather data and nowcasting, the meteorological centre here on Saturday operationalised its newly installed Doppler Weather
Director General of Indian Meteorological Department Ajit
Tyagi inaugurated the c-band DWR, which is the first in
Rajasthan, at a function at the centre.
"The radar is capable of weather surveillance up to 250
kms around Jaipur. It is installed here under the
modernisation programme of the department," Tyagi said at the
"Rajasthan has variety of weather - cloud burst, heavy
rainfall, heatwaves, thunder storm, dust storm, so it will be
very useful for the Met centre to provide more specific
weather related information and warnings," he said.
He said that the entire state will be covered by such
radars so that severe weather conditions are properly
predicted and forecasting is more accurate.
The radar provides imageries derived from volume scan
depicting location and intensity of clouds, expected
rainfall from these clouds, horizontal winds, wind shear etc.
Another official said the radar`s data is automatically
updated to IMD`s website at 10 minutes interval.
The radar is capable of providing information about the
rate of rainfall and amount of rainfall within an effective
range of 150 km from here.
The official said that using this radar, now-casting
of weather regarding occurrence of thunder storms within next
one to three hours in small areas is possible.
Director of Sanganer Airport RK Singh said that the
weather information will be useful for flights operating from
A proposal to install DWR at Jaisalmer, Jodhpur, Kota,
Sriganganagar is also under consideration by the IMD.
Secretary-Relief, government of Rajasthan Tanmay Kumar,
Director Met Jaipur centre SS Singh and other officials
were present in the function.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- 7 terror camps destroyed by Indian Army in surgical strikes
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- Surgical strikes across LoC in Pakistan were filmed, videos kept as proof
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Narendra Modi and Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum