Rajasthan: Elderly people demand monthly pension
Jaipur: Thousands of elderly people on Monday staged a dharna here to press for their demand of a monthly pension.
The old people from different districts of the state held the dharna at the Udyog maidan here under the banner of `Pension Parishad`.
They were addressed by social activist Aruna Roy and representatives of different political groups.
Chief minister Ashok Gehlot also reached the protest venue and assured all possible help to the elderly, who are demanding a monthly pension of at least Rs 2,000 per month irrespective of BPL, APL or any other category.
"People above the age of 55 should get pension of at least Rs 2,000 and it should be revised once in three years," Roy said.
Vijay Laxmi, another activist said that the government of India should address the issue because elderly people also have the right to live with dignity.
"The demands are legitimate and should be addressed by the governments without any further delay," she said.
Gehlot, after inaugurating a free veterinary generic medicines scheme, headed to the dharna venue and addressed the gathering.
He assured that he would make all possible efforts to help them.
The state forest and environment minister Bina Kak, Deputy Leader of Opposition in Rajasthan Assembly Ghanshyam Tiwari were among others who reached the dharna venue.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President's Rule to continue in Uttarakhand, next hearing in SC on May 3
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part II
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part III
- Panel discussion on AgustaWestland chopper scam and Sonia Gandhi's role - Part IV
- Kabir Khan's message to the media after being 'heckled in Pakistan' is epic!
- Subrata Roy's health deteriorating in jail, can't survive another summer: Sahara tells SC
- BJP doing 'gundagardi' in name of making people say 'Bharat Mata ki Jai', says Arvind Kejriwal
- Sheena Bora murder: Indrani, Peter Mukerjea's custody extended till May 9
- Sushmita Sen - mother of two daughters - talks about her sexiest mantra