Rajasthan Guv seeks details on Chishty`s case
Jaipur: A decision on the mercy petition
of 80-year-old Pakistani prisoner Khalil Chishty is likely to
take some time with the Rajasthan Governor Tuesday seeking more
information on the case.
Governor Shivraj Patil held a discussion with
Additional Chief Secretary (Home) P K Deb on the issue and
sought more details and information from the home department.
"Any decision on the mercy petition of Chishty will
take some more time as the Governor has sought additional
information which will be collected and sent back soon,"
sources in the home department said.
The approval of the governor, who has power under
Article 161 of the Constitution to remit a sentence, will pave
the way for release of the Pakistani virologist who is in an
Indian jail since 1992 in a murder case.
Prime Minister Manmohan Singh had yesterday asked Home
Minister P Chidambaram to examine if the request of a Supreme
Court judge for pardon to Chishty could be considered on
Singh has forwarded to Chidambaram the letter of request
received from Justice Markandeya Katju.
"I shall be grateful if you could examine the request of
Justice Katju to see if a pardon to Dr Khalil Chishty could be
considered on humanitarian grounds," the Prime Minister said
in his letter to Chidambaram.
Justice Katju has made a "personal" appeal to Singh to
release on "humanitarian grounds" Chishty, who is currently
lodged in Ajmer Central Jail.
Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot had forwarded the mercy
petition to Raj Bhawan last week. The petition was submitted
by Chishty`s relatives and human rights activists before the
home department in April with a request that the matter be
dealt with expeditiously as Chishty`s health was failing.
Rights activists had filed the petition requesting
remission of punishment on "humanitarian grounds" for Dr
Khalil under Article 161 of the Constitution of India by the
A sessions court in Ajmer had awarded Chishty life
sentence on January 31 this year in a murder case after an
18-year-long trial. He had also filed an appeal in the High
Court but his bail plea was rejected.
"We are not going to be demoralised by this. We will
continue working for the release and sending back Dr.Chishty
home and meet all concerned and ensure an early release of
him," Kavita Srivastava, General Secretary of PUCL Rajasthan
Chishty had got involved in a fracas during his visit
to Ajmer in 1992 to meet his ailing mother and in the melee
one person was killed leading to his arrest.
During the trial period, the sessions court, which had
granted him bail after few days of the incident, had ordered
Chishty not to leave Ajmer and he was re-arrested after his
conviction and during the bail period, he spent time at his
brother`s farm in Ajmer.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- One year of Modi govt: PM promises to fulfil aspirations
- Watch: Mumbai cops find new secret agents in housewives!
- Hundreds die as heat wave continues in India
- 2G scam: Ex-TRAI chief alleges Manmohan Singh had warned him to cooperate
- Pranab Mukherjee defends Bofors scam, says it was just a media trial
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Para athlete Deepa Malik complains of callous service by Air India
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Smriti Irani visits Amethi, promises to pay insurance money to 25,000 women
- One year of Modi govt: Amit Shah addresses media
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- One year of NDA govt: PM Modi writes open letter to nation, promises to transform India
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- World optimistic about India: PM Narendra Modi on 1 year of NDA govt
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- Bharatiya Janata Party lacks majority for Ram Temple, Article 370: Amit Shah
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced on May 28
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- AAP govt moves resolution against MHA notification: As it happened
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- Heatwave kills 90 more in Andhra, Telangana; toll crosses 800
- Gujjars adamant on holding talks in Bayana; rail tracks remain blocked
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark