Rajasthan HC defers Asaram’s bail plea to Oct 01
Zee Media Bureau
Jodhpur: In a big jolt to Asaram Bapu, accused of sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl in his ashram, the Rajasthan High Court on Wednesday deferred the bail plea hearing till October 01.
The court’s decision comes after the HC on Monday had deferred till today 18 the hearing on the bail petition of self-styled godman, in jail for alleged sexual assault of a teenage girl.
A District and Sessions` Court judge in Rajasthan on Monday extended, by 14 days, the judicial custody of Asaram, arrested for sexually assaulting a minor girl. The 72-year-old self-styled godman is currently lodged in the Jodhpur Central Jail.
A 16-year-old girl on August 20 lodged a police complaint, accusing Asaram of sexually assaulting her at his ashram near Jodhpur.
Asaram was arrested from his ashram in Indore, Madhya Pradesh, and brought to Jodhpur September 1.
Asaram has been booked under Sections 376, 342, 506 and 509 of the IPC, Section 8 of the Prevention of Children from Sexual Offences Act ( POCSO ) and Sections 23 and 26 of the Juvenile Justice Act.
Asaram`s judicial custody was extended on Monday for another 14 days, by the court, where he was produced for the hearing of his bail plea.
Asaram, 72, who was arrested from his ashram in Indore in Madhya Pradesh, had sought bail claiming that police erred in booking him under a rape charge, which is non-bailable.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Know the significance of Devshayani Ekadashi
- Punjab: Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Gurdaspur
- Punjab: Gurdaspur gunbattle ends, all terrorists killed
- Grief stricken people shout slogans as Kalam's body carried out of hospital
- Mumbai blasts case: Maharashtra govt opposes Yakub Memon's mercy plea in SC
- Politicos mourn death of former president APJ Abdul Kalam, hail him as 'Missile Man of India'
- SC to resume hearing on Mumbai blasts convict Yakub Memon's mercy plea on Tuesday
- FORMER PRESIDENT OF INDIA APJ ABDUL KALAM PASSES AWAY
- Lalu Prasad Yadav arrested as RJD bandh cripples life in Bihar
- Terrorists in Army uniform attack police station in Punjab's Gurdaspur; 3 killed