Rajasthan HC seeks explanation on creamy layer concept
Jaipur: The Rajasthan High Court has asked the state government to explain as to why the concept of creamy layer cannot be made applicable in benefits extended under reservation to Scheduled Caste and Scheduled Tribe categories.
A bench of Justice Gopal Krishan Vyas in Jodhpur sought the explanation from the Advocate General on a petition filed by one Anil Barupal and others seeking a direction to the state government to determine correct quota of SC and ST for appointment on the posts of physical teacher Grade-II.
It was argued that like OBCs the creamy layer candidates in SC and ST category should also not get benefit of reservation.
In the opinion of this court the provision for reservation extended to SC and ST is a constitutional mandate and cannot be questioned before this forum," Justice Vyas said.
"However, there is substance in the argument that benefit of reservation is in fact reaped by the well to do and economically sound strata in the reservation category of SC and ST and the actual benefit is not reaching members of these categories who are downtrodden, backward and struggle for basic survival as such the Advocate General is required to assist as to why the creamy layer concept be not introduced in reservation of SC and ST also," the court said.
The creamy layer is a term so far used to refer to relatively wealthier and better educated members of the Other Backward Classes (OBCs) who are not eligible for government sponsored educational and professional benefit programs.
The term was introduced by the Sattanathan Commission in 1971, which directed that the "creamy layer" be excluded from reservations of civil posts and services granted to OBCs.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Rajasthan: Gujjars revive reservation agitation, block rail track
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- J Jayalalithaa sworn-in as Chief Minister of Tamil Nadu
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- ISIS to buy first nuclear weapon from Pak?
- Mumbai: CCTV captures assailant with gun at Film City
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Aspiring for more than what you have!
- BJP now central pole of Indian politics: Arun Jaitley
- Zee Media Exclusive chat with 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns' cast Kangana, Madhavan
- Maharashtra FDA sends Maggi noodles for lab testing
- Mathura SSP receives death threat letter, message for PM Modi
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Kangana Ranaut steals the show!
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- Goa Board SSC Exam Results 2015 announced
- ISIS close to buying nuclear weapon from Pakistan?
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced
- Manohar Parrikar visits forward areas along LoC, reviews security situation
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- RBSE 12th Science & Commerce Board Result 2015 declared
- There will be no delay in appointing CIC, CVC: Jitendra Singh
- RBSE rajresults.nic.in & rajeduboard.nic.in 12th Results 2015: BSER Ajmer Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII Senior Secondary Science & Commerce Exam Results 2015 declared
- CBSE Board 10th Results 2015: Cbse.nic.in & Cbseresults.nic class 10th X board exam results 2015 date announced