Rajasthan MLA directed to surrender before court
Jaipur: The Rajasthan High Court on Friday directed BJP legislator and former minister Rajendra Singh Rathore to surrender before it while setting aside a lower court order giving him a clean chit in a six-year-old criminal case, a lawyer said here on Friday.
The Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) had on June 26 moved a revision petition against the lower court`s verdict, claiming that it has enough evidence to prove Rathore`s involvement in the alleged staged shootout of criminal Dara Singh in 2006.
Rathore`s lawyer AK Jain told mediapersons here that the High Court while admitting the CBI`s petition directed the Bharatiya Janata Party leader to surrender "forthwith".
"Rathore will surrender before the trial court. We will examine the written order and then follow it accordingly," Jain said.
The CBI arrested Rathore in connection with the case on April 5. However, he walked out of the Jaipur Central Jail on May 31 after the district sessions court here issued his release orders, citing lack of evidence against him.
Dara Singh`s wife Sushila Devi had also filed a similar revision petition in the High Court June 28, which was clubbed together with the CBI`s petition.
So far, 11 policemen have been arrested in the case, including two Indian Police Service (IPS) officers. The alleged staged shootout by the police`s special operations group took place on the outskirts of Jaipur on October 23, 2006.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BSP shrugs off Rita Bahuguna 's jump; says BJP will still face defeat in UP polls
- Navjot Singh Sidhu out on zero to Waqar Younis in 1990 – The match Kapil Sharma keeps talking about
- MS Dhoni reacts in astonishment as Axar Patel takes a stunning one-handed catch - VIDEO
- Pierce Brosnan 'deeply shocked and saddened' because of Pan Masala brand ad
- Sushant Singh Rajput’s former girlfriend Ankita Lokhande’s Karva Chauth photos will surprise you