Rajasthan: New-born girl dumped in pit
Barmer: A new-born girl was found dumped in a pit in a deserted area in Rajasthan`s Barmer district early Sunday morning, police said. The girl, who appears to have been disowned by parents, has been adopted by an NGO.
Wrapped in a piece of cloth, she was crying when spotted by passers-by in a forested area near Sindhari village in the district, some 600 km from state capital Jaipur.
"A girl from a nearby village was passing by when she heard a child weeping. She started looking for the child and found her in a 10-foot-deep pit," a police officer told a news agency.
He added that the villagers informed the police. "The girl has been admitted to hospital," the officer said.
"It seems that the girl had been dumped Saturday night. Several incidents of disowning girl children have been reported in the area. People here prefer boys over girls," the officer said.
"We have registered a first information report and are trying to trace the girl`s parents," said the officer.
According to the Census 2011, Rajasthan has 883 girls between the ages of 0-6 for every 1,000 boys in the same age group. The child sex ratio in 2001 was 909 girls per 1,000 boys.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 11-year old Odisha boy to get football training at Bayern Munich in Germany
- China warns India against deploying BrahMos cruise missile in Arunachal Pradesh
- One killed in TV channel office attack in Karachi
- Gujarat: Journalist working for local daily found dead in his Junagadh office
- Watch: How floods throw normal life out of gear across country
- Sushant Singh Rajput shares third poster of ‘M.S.Dhoni- The Untold Story’
- Triple treat for Shah Rukh Khan fans in 2017 – Details inside
- Know what Ranveer Singh has to say about Akshay Kumar
- A love story for Akshay Kumar in toilet? Details inside
- Wondering if Ranveer Singh is on board Deepika Padukone’s ‘Padmavati’? Details inside