Rajasthan roadways workers protest denationalising of routes, call strike
Jaipur: Public transport services were hit in Rajasthan on Wednesday with the beginning of a two-day strike by the employees of Rajasthan Roadways Service against the government`s announcement to denationalise the nationalised routes.
Roadways` fleet of 4779 buses which ply between different cities stayed off road across the state causing inconvenience to the commuters. Office work was also hit by the strike called by the roadways employees.
Members of different roadways unions gathered in front of depots and protested against the government`s budget announcement to denationalise the nationalised routes and establishment of Rajasthan State Bus Port Services Corporation to develop and manage bus-stands in the state.
"These announcements would promote private bus mafia and lead to privatisation of the state roadways so we decided to go on a two-day strike in the public interest," Dharmveer Chaudhary, General Secretary of Rajasthan Roadways Joint Employees` Federation, told PTI.
He said that all the buses were off road since midnight and the strike was successful at all the 52 depots, head office and other units.
There was no operation of buses from any bus stand in the state in protest of the government`s decisions, he said.
Passengers had to take private buses to travel to their destinations and they alleged that the private buses were charging high fares.
"I had no option but to take the private bus to go to Ajmer. The buses are crowded and the fare is also unusually high," Deepesh Goyal, an engineering student, said.
All the 21,432 employees of the Rajasthan State Road Transport Corporation (RSRTC) including around 7,500 drivers and as many conductors affiliated to four major Unions are participating in the strike.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- BCCI announces Team India squad for Bangladesh tour
- Sudha Shivpuri aka 'Baa' of 'Kyuki Saas Bhi Kabhi Bahu Thi' dies
- IAF Mirage fighter plane lands on Yamuna Expressway!
- Kejriwal accuses Centre of trying to rule Delhi through LG
- 'Maggi' under regulatory scanner for excess amount of lead, MSG
- Watch: Michelle Obama's 'Gimme Five' fitness video
- Expect that Rahul will be Congress president in 2015: Jairam Ramesh
- When Subramanian Swamy shocked people at a wedding!
- Mumbaikars join hands to save Pakistani teen with rare illness
- DNA: Analysis of Hurriyat chief Syed Geelani's passport issue
- DNA: Analysis of traffic system of Vancouver, Canada
- Mumbai: Diamond export company denies job to Muslim youth
- Aapke Sitare: Astro prediction for May 21, 2015
- Mirage 2000 fighter jet landing was part of capability demonstration: IAF
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 expected to be announced on May 21
- JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015: JAC 12th Inter Arts Result 2015 (jharkhandeducation.net) likely to be announced on Thursday May 21 at 1 PM
- RBSE (rajresults.nic.in) Class 12th science and commerce results 2015: Rajasthan Board Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced today at 4 PM
- CBSE Class 10 Results 2015 to be announced today?
- IAF jet lands on Yamuna expressway
- Check Jharkhand Board jac.nic.in: Class 12th Art Results 2015 declared
- Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET results to be announced on May 21 at www.apeamcet.org
- Log on to apeamcet.org AP EAMCET Results 2015: Andhra Pradesh EAMCET Marks and AP EAMCET Ranks 2015 declared
- Fawad Khan doesn’t want intimate scenes with Sonam Kapoor?
- IPL 2015: Rajasthan Royals vs Royal Challengers Bangalore - As it happened...
- DHSE (dhsekerala.gov.in) 12th Result 2015: Kerala DHSE Class 12th XII exam results 2015 to be announced on May 21
- We hire only non-Muslim candidates, diamond export firm tells Muslim youth
- SSLC (tnresults.nic.in) Tenth 10th Results 2015: Tamil Nadu Board Class 10th X Higher Secondary exam results 2015 to be declared on May 21
- 'IAS officer DK Ravi possibly committed suicide, suffered big loss in real estate business'
- Is MSG in 'Maggi' noodles harmful for you?