Rajasthan suicides: Four community panchayat members held
Karauli (Rajasthan): Four members of a community panchayat have been arrested after four members of a family and their neighbour committed suicide in Bajna Khurd village in Rajasthan`s Karauli district, police said Saturday.
"We arrested four members of the community panchayat late Friday evening and have started to question them. We are searching for the remaining members of the panchayat," a police official told IANS on the phone.
It has been alleged that a panchayat diktat had forced the five people to commit suicide Thursday.
Gajendra Jat, a farmer, along with his wife Heero Devi, a six-year-old son Rohit, and nine-year-old daughter Chanchal, and neighbour Kunwar Devi committed suicide by jumping before a speeding train.
Gajendra, in his suicide note, alleged that he was taking the extreme step as the panchayat held him guilty for having an illicit relationship with Kunwar Devi, and imposed a penalty of Rs.50,000 on him.
"I do not have money to pay...neither I am guilty of the charge. The only way out for me is to commit suicide," he wrote in the note.
Sources said many villagers were against the panchayat decision as Kunwar Devi had denied the charges leveled by her family against Gajendra.
They said the villagers had, however, never imagined that Gajendra would take such an extreme step following the diktat.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price