Raje asks Centre to ensure release of its share of Yamuna water
Jaipur: Alleging that Haryana was usurping its share of Yamuna water, Rajasthan Chief Minister Vasundhara Raje has urged the Centre to intervene to ensure that her state got its legitimate share.
Raje recently wrote a letter to Union Water Resources Minister Ghulam Nabi Azad stating that Haryana was usurping Rajasthan`s share of water at both Tajewala and Okhla headworks on the Yamuna river.
She said even after 20 years of the water agreement, Rajasthan was being deprived of its legitimate share of Yamuna water.
It was evident from the data of the Upper Yamuna River Board (UYRB) that the share of Rajasthan in Yamuna water was around 9 per cent, while only 1 per cent was being made available, she said.
Raje said at a meeting of the UYRB in December 2001, Rajasthan was allocated 1,917 cusec water at Tajewala and 1,281 cusec at Okhla headworks, according to a release here.
This water was mainly allotted for Churu and Jhunjhunu areas.
Raje said that release of water from Tajewala was being wilfully delayed by Haryana, which was a violation of the agreement.
The Chief Minister requested Azad to issue instructions to Haryana for release of allotted share of Yamuna water and joint gauging by both states near entry points of Rajasthan-Haryana border.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan
- Jayalalithaa's funeral procession: Sea of mourners gather to pay last respects
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Watch: Jayalalithaa's last rites performed by her close friend and aide Sasikala Natarajan - Part II
- DNA: Know why Jayalalithaa was buried and not cremated
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- RBI to issue new Rs 100 banknotes, old notes to continue as legal tender
- Airtel’s free 4G internet offer may be a ploy to steal your data
- Kapil Sharma renews contract, his latest fee will make your jaw drop!
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead