Ramesh in shoe wiping controversy
Jaipur: Union Rural Development Minister
Jairam Ramesh kicked up a controversy by wiping his shoe with
a garland of spun cotton given to him as a welcome gesture by
Congress members at a public function in Bikaner district of
Chief Minister Ashok Geholt was also present at the
function at Kolayat area in Bikaner yesterday where they
distributed sanction letters of the first installment of grant
aid under Mukhyamantri Gramin BPL Awas Yojana.
The cotton garlands were offered to Ramesh by Congress
office-bearers Rameshwar Dudi and Rampyari Vishnoi. When the
minister was sitting in a chair at the dais, he took out the
garland and put it on a table. After some time, he took the
garland and cleaned his shoe.
The state BJP reacted sharply and criticised the
minister`s act and demanded apology from him and Gehlot saying
"the garland, a symbol of Gandhi`s spinning wheel. It`s an
insult to Gandhi`s Khadi", BJP state president Arun Chaturvedi
said here today.
"Congress leaders, ministers and the chief ministers
talk about Gandhism and Khadi but they insult it openly. Chief
Minister should also tender an apology from the public," he
When contacted, PCC president Chandrabhan said he was
not aware of the matter. "I am out of station and what has
happened is not in my knowledge," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi slams Pakistan govt during his speech in Kozhikode
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak
- Panel discussion over PM Modi's willingness to engage in direct dialogue with Pak - Part II
- PM Modi calls meeting to review Indus Waters Treaty today
- Watch: Sushma Swaraj addresses the UN General Assembly
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- Donald Trump praises Hindu community's contributions to US
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- Uri effect? India, Afghanistan bypass Pak to set up exclusive air corridor
- Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB 4G mobile services at 1 GB price