Rape accused ex-minister`s supporters demand ticket for kin
Jaipur: Hundreds of supporters of former Rajasthan minister Babulal Nagar, who is facing charges of raping a 35-year-old woman, on Monday gathered outside Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot`s residence, demanding Congress ticket for one of his family members.
Congress supporters, led by Dudu and Phagi Congress mandal presidents, demanded that a relative of Nagar be fielded from the Dudu Assembly constituency, which was earlier represented by the former minister.
They were , however, not allowed to meet the Chief Minister, party sources said.
Nagar`s son, Ravi, who went inside the CM`s residence did not respond to media query whether he met Gehlot or not.
Later, the supporters rushed to Nagar`s official residence reiterating their demand.
Nagar told reporters that neither he nor any member of his family would contest the Assembly elections slated for December 1, as CBI inquiry into the rape case was pending.
"I will follow party high command`s directions. My supporters would work for the party in the Dudu constituency in the Assembly polls," he said.
53-year-old Nagar had denied the rape charges, saying that his political rivals were trying to "frame" him ahead of Assembly elections in the state. He had resigned on September 20 and CBI took over the probe into the case from the CID crime branch early this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Dadri lynching: Is Kejriwal spreading poison between Hindus and Muslims?
- Muslims asked to sprinkle cow urine on body in order to be part of Garba festivities
- Congress workers blow up pigeons by blasting them inside rockets
- Dadri lynching: Rahul Gandhi reaches Dadri, meets victim Iqlakh's family
- Dadri lynching: Prime accused's father refutes allegations; says son is innocent
- Indrani Mukerjea regains consciousness, out of danger, says hospital
- Russia bombs ISIS headquarters in Syria, video goes viral on internet - Watch
- In Pics: Indian Super League 2015 opening ceremony!
- Dadri lynching case: Sadhvi Prachi makes provocative remark, says beef-eaters deserve such fate
- Read: What Salman Khan has to say about Akshay's 'Singh Is Bliing'