Rape accused ex-minister`s supporters demand ticket for kin
Jaipur: Hundreds of supporters of former Rajasthan minister Babulal Nagar, who is facing charges of raping a 35-year-old woman, on Monday gathered outside Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot`s residence, demanding Congress ticket for one of his family members.
Congress supporters, led by Dudu and Phagi Congress mandal presidents, demanded that a relative of Nagar be fielded from the Dudu Assembly constituency, which was earlier represented by the former minister.
They were , however, not allowed to meet the Chief Minister, party sources said.
Nagar`s son, Ravi, who went inside the CM`s residence did not respond to media query whether he met Gehlot or not.
Later, the supporters rushed to Nagar`s official residence reiterating their demand.
Nagar told reporters that neither he nor any member of his family would contest the Assembly elections slated for December 1, as CBI inquiry into the rape case was pending.
"I will follow party high command`s directions. My supporters would work for the party in the Dudu constituency in the Assembly polls," he said.
53-year-old Nagar had denied the rape charges, saying that his political rivals were trying to "frame" him ahead of Assembly elections in the state. He had resigned on September 20 and CBI took over the probe into the case from the CID crime branch early this month.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Salman Khan attends sister Arpita's wedding reception in Mandi
- I eat beef, can somebody stop me?: Kiren Rijiju hits back at Naqvi
- Zee Media's mega survey on Modi govt
- Zee Media Exclusive: Vidya Balan chats about 'Hamari Adhuri Kahani'
- Delhi: Visually impaired boy scores 91.4% in CBSE 12th Board exams
- MP: 14-year-old boy works as bonded labour since 2009
- UP: Man chops off wife's nose, hair for dowry
- Zee Media Exclusive: The plight of yoga expert Tejaswi Sharma
- Woman denied flat in Mumbai for being a Muslim
- 4 Indians in Forbes' 100 most powerful women list
- BBV: What challenges lie ahead of Modi govt?
- DNA analysis of rising water crisis in India!
- Gujjar stir: HC asks Rajasthan govt to clear rail track, roads
- DNA: Delhi shop owners express their plight through Zee initiative 'My News'
- Watch: Zee Media mega survey on Modi govt- Part 2
- Arpita-Aayush wedding reception: Salman Khan spreads love in Mandi, says `hum aapke hain`
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 (cbse.nic.in, cbseresults.nic.in) postponed?
- CBSE Class 10 Board Result 2015 to be announced today
- Check mahresult.nic.in for MSBSHSE Maharashtra Class 12 HSC Result 2015
- Maharashtra MSBSHSE HSC Result 2015 on mahresult.nic.in
- MSBSHSE Class 12th HSC results 2015 to be declared at 1pm tomorrow
- Rahul Gandhi takes a dig at one year of Modi govt, wishes 'happy birthday' to 'suit-boot ki sarkar'
- I was misquoted, says Kiren Rijiju on 'beef' remark
- mahresult.nic.in updated with MSBSHSE Maharashtra HSC Class XII Result 2015
- First look: Salman Khan steals thunder in `Bajrangi Bhaijaan`
- CBSE 10th result to be declared tomorrow
- Manmohan Singh defends himself on 2G charge, slams Modi govt for 'carbon copy' schemes
- Check mahresult.nic.in for Maharashtra HSC Result 2015 to be announced at 1 pm on May 27
- Sonia Gandhi 'unconstitutional authority' during UPA: PM Narendra Modi
- Reservation stir: Five percent job quota to Gujjars unlikely, hints Rajasthan govt