Rape victim succumbs to burns over a week after suicide bid in Raj
Jaipur: A 17-year-old girl who attempted suicide allegedly after being raped by a man on June 4 succumbed to her burns at a hospital here on Sunday.
The girl died at the Sawai Man Singh (SMS) Hospital this morning, its additional superintendent Dr Ajit Singh said, adding that the body had been handed over to her parents after a post-mortem.
The teenage girl was allegedly raped by 27-year-old Manish who lived in her Sunder Nagar neighbourhood under Mahesh Nagar Police station on June 4, police said.
Hours after she was raped, the girl attempted suicide by setting herself on fire when her parents were not home. She was rushed to the SMS Hospital, where she had been undergoing treatment.
Following a complaint, the accused was booked under section 376 (rape) of the IPC and sent to jail on June 5.
The state government has given Rs 3 lakh as compensation to the girl`s parents, a district official said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Exiled Kashmiri Pandits share their heart wrenching stories
- Basic ideals of Constitution are in danger: Sonia Gandhi
- PM Modi greets nation on occasion of first Constitution Day
- Manjula Vaghela's journey: From rag picker to head of a firm with Rs 1 cr turnover!
- Indian Army faces shortage of field firing ranges in J&K
- Woman commits suicide after heated discussion with husband over Aamir Khan's intolerance remark
- Intolerance issue: Those attacking me are only proving my point, says Aamir Khan – Read full statement
- Setback to Kejriwal-led AAP as MLA Akhilesh Tripathi arrested in riot case
- 10 interesting facts about Constitution which every Indian must know
- See pic: Genelia marks son's birthday!