Rebel faction of Gujjars warns of fresh movement in Rajasthan
Jaipur: A major rebel faction of Gujjars in
Rajasthan on Tuesday warned of fresh agitation from June 16 if the
state government fails to meet their demand of five per cent
The faction led by Ramvir Singh Bidhuri, Chief Patron
of All India Gujjar Aarakshan Sangarsh Samiti, rejected the
one per cent additional quota extended by the state government
to the community recently.
"Our community members have already rejected one per cent
additional quota extended to Gujjars following agitation by
(community leader) Kirori Singh Bainsla and now we will launch
fresh movement to get our rights," Bidhuri told reporters
"The movement will be peaceful and not like that of
Bainsla where railway tracks were uprooted. In initial stage,
we will hold demonstration at all district headquarters and
memorandum will be submitted to the state government through
respective district collectors.
"The agitation will be intensified by staging
demonstration at state assembly during the Monsoon session and
submitting memorandum to the Prime Minister and AICC President
Sonia Gandhi," Bidhuri said.
He said five per cent reservation in government jobs,
withdrawal of cases registered against the community members
during the agitation led by Bainsla and pension to those
injured in the protest are among the demands.
Strongly condemning the agreement arrived between the
state government and Bainsla on granting one per cent
additional quota, Bidhuri alleged that Bainsla settled for the
accord only for his "personal gains".
The community had called off its month-long stir on May 5
after the government agreed to accord one per cent more quota
to it in addition to the existing four per cent given to them
under the OBC category.
As per the agreement, since the community is already
getting 21 per cent reservation under the OBC category, they
would get one per cent more quota till the High Court
completes formalities on their demand, and remaining four per
cent reservation would be accorded after the court`s verdict
under the Special Backward Class category.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system?
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part II
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part III
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part IV
- Why are Muslim women being punished with triple talaq system? - Part V
- IPL 9: This is a million times better than any hundred I have scored - AB de Villiers on 79-run knock vs GL
- These workout pictures, video of Karan Patel will make you hit the gym!
- Wanted to do something in English: Jacqueline Fernandez
- LG launches ultralight 14-inch 'Gram PC' laptop in India
- Prince's 'Purple Rain' jacket set for auction