Security stepped up in Pratapgarh after violence
Jaipur: The situation was tense on Tuesday but
under control in Rajasthan`s Pratapgarh district where police
clashed with locals protesting the rape of a minor girl
allegedly by two constables.
In order to maintain law and order, extra police
personnel have been deployed in the area.
Senior police and district administration officials
are camping in the town where an agitated mob last night
torched several vehicles including that of police and district
administration, a police outpost and pelted stones at police
following the rape of the minor girl.
"We have deployed additional forces in the area and
identifying those involved in stone pelting and torching
vehicles. No arrest has been made so far and efforts are on to
arrest the accused," Superintendent of Police, Pratapgarh,
Prem Prakash, said today.
"The two accused constables have already been
suspended yesterday. Condition of those injured in the
stone pelting and lathicharge is fine," he said.
19 persons, including five policemen, were injured as
violence broke out in Choti Saadadi area in the district after
the girl was allegedly raped by two police constables in a
residential quarter in the local police station complex
The victim, who went missing two months ago, had been
traced by the police and handed over to her parents few days
back. Two constables, Pawan Kumar and Tej Singh, approached
the house of the girl at around 3:30 AM yesterday and took her
to the police station on the pretext of recording her
Instead of going to the station, they took her to a
quarter in the complex and allegedly gang-raped her.
When locals came to know about the incident, they
gathered at the police station and demanded stern action
against the constables. Some of the protesters set ablaze a few
vehicles and pelted stones at policemen.
"To control the situation, we had to fire in air and
resort to lathicharge," a senior police officer had said.
Download the all new Zee News app for Android and iOS to stay up to date with latest headlines and news stories in Politics, Entertainment, Sports, Technology, Business and much more from India and around the world.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Helicopter ferrying 6 pilgrims, woman pilot crashes near Katra
- Growing sense of despondency in India from last 6-8 months: Aamir Khan
- 8th Ramnath Goenka Awards: Sudhir Chaudhary awarded for Excellence in Journalism
- Tejashwi Yadav takes charge as Deputy CM of Bihar
- Arvind Kejriwal clarifies his friendly gesture with Lalu Prasad Yadav
- Karnataka, Madhya Pradesh bypoll results: As it happened on November 24
- Lesson for jihadi aspirants? ISIS says Indians not good enough as 6 out of 23 fighters from India are killed
- Aamir Khan feels intolerance growing in India, says his wife suggested moving out of India
- Intolerance issue: When did ‘Incredible India’ become ‘Intolerant India’, Anupam Kher asks Aamir Khan
- Boon for SC/ST candidates? Birth, caste certificates likely to be merged