Security stepped up in Pratapgarh after violence
Jaipur: The situation was tense on Tuesday but
under control in Rajasthan`s Pratapgarh district where police
clashed with locals protesting the rape of a minor girl
allegedly by two constables.
In order to maintain law and order, extra police
personnel have been deployed in the area.
Senior police and district administration officials
are camping in the town where an agitated mob last night
torched several vehicles including that of police and district
administration, a police outpost and pelted stones at police
following the rape of the minor girl.
"We have deployed additional forces in the area and
identifying those involved in stone pelting and torching
vehicles. No arrest has been made so far and efforts are on to
arrest the accused," Superintendent of Police, Pratapgarh,
Prem Prakash, said today.
"The two accused constables have already been
suspended yesterday. Condition of those injured in the
stone pelting and lathicharge is fine," he said.
19 persons, including five policemen, were injured as
violence broke out in Choti Saadadi area in the district after
the girl was allegedly raped by two police constables in a
residential quarter in the local police station complex
The victim, who went missing two months ago, had been
traced by the police and handed over to her parents few days
back. Two constables, Pawan Kumar and Tej Singh, approached
the house of the girl at around 3:30 AM yesterday and took her
to the police station on the pretext of recording her
Instead of going to the station, they took her to a
quarter in the complex and allegedly gang-raped her.
When locals came to know about the incident, they
gathered at the police station and demanded stern action
against the constables. Some of the protesters set ablaze a few
vehicles and pelted stones at policemen.
"To control the situation, we had to fire in air and
resort to lathicharge," a senior police officer had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Indian- Americans launch online petition to declare Pakistan 'sponsor of terrorism'
- DNA: Analysis over who is responsible for tense condition of Kashmir after Burhan Wani's death?
- EU warns Pakistan of political and economic sanctions over atrocities in Baloch
- Should Pakistani artists be restricted from working in India?
- Discussion over if Pak is in fear of war after India's stringent initiative on Uri terror attack?
- SHOCKING VIDEO: This man was trying to take selfie with python - You won't believe what happened next!
- All you need to know about Reliance JioFi at Rs 1,999 – use free data till December 31
- Call up this number and get Reliance Jio's SIM for sure
- WATCH: Ravichandran Ashwin's magic ball that bamboozled Kane Williamson on Day 3
- If you have guts, send your suicide bombers to Pakistan: Samajwadi Party to MNS' Raj Thackeray