Security stepped up in Pratapgarh after violence
Jaipur: The situation was tense on Tuesday but
under control in Rajasthan`s Pratapgarh district where police
clashed with locals protesting the rape of a minor girl
allegedly by two constables.
In order to maintain law and order, extra police
personnel have been deployed in the area.
Senior police and district administration officials
are camping in the town where an agitated mob last night
torched several vehicles including that of police and district
administration, a police outpost and pelted stones at police
following the rape of the minor girl.
"We have deployed additional forces in the area and
identifying those involved in stone pelting and torching
vehicles. No arrest has been made so far and efforts are on to
arrest the accused," Superintendent of Police, Pratapgarh,
Prem Prakash, said today.
"The two accused constables have already been
suspended yesterday. Condition of those injured in the
stone pelting and lathicharge is fine," he said.
19 persons, including five policemen, were injured as
violence broke out in Choti Saadadi area in the district after
the girl was allegedly raped by two police constables in a
residential quarter in the local police station complex
The victim, who went missing two months ago, had been
traced by the police and handed over to her parents few days
back. Two constables, Pawan Kumar and Tej Singh, approached
the house of the girl at around 3:30 AM yesterday and took her
to the police station on the pretext of recording her
Instead of going to the station, they took her to a
quarter in the complex and allegedly gang-raped her.
When locals came to know about the incident, they
gathered at the police station and demanded stern action
against the constables. Some of the protesters set ablaze a few
vehicles and pelted stones at policemen.
"To control the situation, we had to fire in air and
resort to lathicharge," a senior police officer had said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi speaks at Golden Jubilee celebrations of poet Dinkar’s works
- Vadodara: Policemen seen dancing with bar girls
- Coal scam: Naveen Jindal, Madhu Koda and others get bail
- Zee Media Exclusive: Kangana, Madhavan talk about their film 'Tanu Weds Manu Returns'
- DNA: IAF Mirage 2000 fighter plane lands successfully on Yamuna expressway
- One year of Modi govt: Arun Jaitley addresses press conference
- DNA: Osama documents show 'Indian brother in Madinah' financed al Qaeda
- DNA: Harmful chemicals found in Maggi, Nestle India still in denial mode
- ISIS executes Syrian fighter using anti-tank rocket launcher
- CM Kejriwal shortlists 39 'unwanted' IAS officers in Delhi
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with Congress leader Kamal Nath
- Columbia student takes rape-protest mattress to graduation
- Mumbai: One injured in shootout at Film City
- DNA: Modi-led NDA govt's hits and misses in one year
- Delhi: Car catches fire after crash, one dead
- Jayalalithaa makes public appearance, meets Governor: As it happened
- IPL 2015, Qualifier 2: CSK vs RCB - As it happened...
- India to soon have its own space shuttle!
- Tanu Weds Manu Returns movie review: Brilliant execution, superb performance!
- Kejriwal slams notification on LG's powers, says Modi running Delhi govt through back door
- Manohar Parrikar meets troops at Siachen base camp
- Rahul Gandhi to pressurise govt to act on one-rank-one-pension issue
- PM Narendra Modi graces Digvijay Singh's son wedding reception
- Businessman shot next to Amitabh Bachchan's shooting location in Mumbai Film City
- After land bill, net neutrality, Rahul Gandhi to fight for ex-servicemen now
- CBSE 12th Results 2015: CBSE Board Cbse.nic.in & cbseresults.nic class 12th XII board exam Results 2015 date announced