Senior Rajasthan IPS officer sent to police custody
Jaipur: A senior Indian Police Service (IPS) officer in Rajasthan was Monday sent to two days` police remand in connection with the killing of criminal Dara Singh five years ago, an official said.
Inspector General A. Ponnuchami, a 1991 batch officer who was arrested by the Central Bureau of Investigation (CBI) on Sunday, was presented before a special CBI court in Jaipur on Monday.
"We will interrogate him in custody and we will try to gather more information about the case," a CBI official said.
Ponnuchami`s counsel told a news agency that the CBI demanded a five-day police remand, but was granted only two days.
He is one of the two IPS officers accused in the case in which Dara Singh was allegedly killed in a staged shootout by a special operations group (SOG) team of Rajasthan Police on the outskirts of Jaipur Oct 23, 2006.
Besides Ponnuchami, Additional Director General (ADG) of Police AK Jain is also an accused in the case and CBI sources claimed he also might be arrested soon.
The CBI had called Ponnuchami and AK Jain to its Jaipur office for questioning on Sunday. While Ponnuchami turned up and was arrested, Jain did not come. The CBI conducted searches Sunday evening, but the ADG could not be found. He is likely to be arrested soon.
The CBI has already arrested four policemen - inspectors Nisar Khan and Naresh Sharma, assistant sub-inspector Surendra Singh and sub-inspector Satyanarayan Godara - in the case.
A court had issued warrants against seven other policemen - Rajesh Choudhary, Subash Godara, Zulfikar, Arvind, Badri Prasad, Jagraj and Sardar Singh.
Sources said the CBI is trying to prove that Singh`s killing was a fall-out of rivalry between two gangs of the liquor mafia, one of which had the patronage of a BJP leader.
Informed police officials said the BJP leader was also under the purview of the agency`s probe.
Sikar remained the den of Dara Singh until he was gunned down by the SOG team on the outskirts of the state capital. His widow registered a case at Mansarovar police station in Jaipur against four police officers, including AK Jain and A Ponnuchami, and alleged that the shootout was staged.
The Supreme Court in the first week of January slammed the CBI for slow pace of investigations and directed it to submit a status report in the case.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Watch - IIT-Kharagpur develops superpower drone 'BHIM' that could aid soldiers in war zones
- Is Pakistan terrified of Yogi Adityanath as Uttar Pradesh CM?
- Anti-Romeo squad launched: Has moral policing started in UP?
- Should Ram Mandir issue be resolved through mutual understanding?
- Jharkhand: Congress leader, 3 others killed in shootout in Dhanbad
- Bhagat Singh, Sukhdev, Rajguru were hanged on 23 March 1931 – This is how PM Modi paid tribute today
- Kapil Sharma fight on flight row: Did Sunil Grover, Ali Asgar and Chandan Prabhakar skip shoot?
- Mohammad Kaif welcomes Yogi Adityanath's appointment as new Uttar Pradesh chief minister
- Unable to meet educational expenses, Muslim girl writes to PM Narendra Modi – Know what happened next
- Yogi Adityanath took THESE 20 big actions in just 75 hours after becoming UP CM