Seven get 10-yr RI in JC Bose hostel gangrape
Jaipur: Seven persons were today sentenced to 10 years of rigorous imprisonment by a local court in the 1997 JC Bose hostel gangrape case.
Judge Nepal Singh also imposed a fine of Rs 5,000 each on Sandeep Dahiya, Om Beniwal, Kore Singh, Mahendra Pratap Bhakar, Sehshkaran, Shivpal Singh, and Bhola alias Surjeet.
The court also convicted another accused, Narendra Kasba, but did not pronounce the quantum of punishment as he gave a slip to police and escaped from the court room.
Trial against one Ramniwas is pending and two other accused, Om Bijarniya and Suresh Khoda, are still absconding.
On September 5, 1997, the victim, who was then 25-year-old, was taken by her boy-friend Sandeep Dahiya to J C Bose hostel of Rajasthan University, where she was raped by him and his six other friends.
During investigation, it was found that the victim was sexually abused since 1992 for which a separate case was registered and 12 persons were named therein.
The judge acquitted 12 persons who were charged of raping the victim prior to 1997 at different places, for lack of proper evidence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Admissions 2015: Know India's best ranking Universities
- Yasin Bhatkal calls wife from Hyderabad jail, talks of 'help from Damascus'
- Zee Media Exclusive interview with UPSC topper Ira Singhal's family
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: Is Corporate Social Responsibility nothing but a marketing gimmick?
- UPSC announces Civil Services Examination 2014 results; women bag top four positions
- Five guerrillas, one soldier killed near LoC
- 3rd Test, Day 2: Sri Lanka rattle Pakistan in decider
- Indian Mujahideen chief Yasin Bhatkal indicates Islamic State will help him get out of jail soon
- Missing UK schoolgirls seen carrying Kalashnikov rifle in ISIS's Raqqa?