Seven get 10-yr RI in JC Bose hostel gangrape
Jaipur: Seven persons were today sentenced to 10 years of rigorous imprisonment by a local court in the 1997 JC Bose hostel gangrape case.
Judge Nepal Singh also imposed a fine of Rs 5,000 each on Sandeep Dahiya, Om Beniwal, Kore Singh, Mahendra Pratap Bhakar, Sehshkaran, Shivpal Singh, and Bhola alias Surjeet.
The court also convicted another accused, Narendra Kasba, but did not pronounce the quantum of punishment as he gave a slip to police and escaped from the court room.
Trial against one Ramniwas is pending and two other accused, Om Bijarniya and Suresh Khoda, are still absconding.
On September 5, 1997, the victim, who was then 25-year-old, was taken by her boy-friend Sandeep Dahiya to J C Bose hostel of Rajasthan University, where she was raped by him and his six other friends.
During investigation, it was found that the victim was sexually abused since 1992 for which a separate case was registered and 12 persons were named therein.
The judge acquitted 12 persons who were charged of raping the victim prior to 1997 at different places, for lack of proper evidence.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- DNA: Analysis of Indus water treaty between India and Pakistan
- DNA: US army's joint exercise with Indian Army and their consolation on Uri attack
- India- America joint military exercise begins in Ranikhet
- India to activate laser walls on LOC to stop infiltration
- Exclusive: This is what Kashmir's stone pelters have to say!
- SETBACK! Sedition case against 200 Congress workers for shouting 'Pakistan Zindabad' slogans during rally for Uri martyrs
- Did Arvind Kejriwal tweet in favour of Pakistan over Uri attacks? Here is what Twitter says
- Five takeaways from Sushma Swaraj's speech at UN General Assembly
- Reliance Jio impact: Vodafone offers 10 GB data at 1 GB rate
- Rameez Raja picks all-time XI - Three Indians, but just one Pakistani make it to the list