Sexual assault case: Asaram summoned, given four days to appear before police
Ahmedabad: The Rajasthan police issued a summons and delivered it here on Monday to a representative of controversial godman Asaram Bapu in connection with an allegation of sexual abuse levelled against him by a minor girl recently.
"We have issued summons to Asaram Bapu and asked him to appear before us to record his statement within four days of receiving it," DCP (West) Jodhpur Ajay Pal Lamba told a news agency.
"We called Asaram Bapu`s representative from the ashram to a local police station in Ahmedabad and executed the summons," he said.
"After the primary investigation it turned out that the victim`s accusations were prima facie established. Hence we summoned Asaram Bapu to remain present before us, on or before August 30, to record his statement," Lamba said.
However, authorities at Asaram Bapu`s ashram here denied receiving any such communication from the Jodhpur police related to the complaint.
"Until this moment, we have not received any communication either from the Jodhpur police or on their behalf from local police," said Asaram Bapu`s Motera Ashram spokesperson Sunil Vankhede.
Asaram, who was booked for allegedly sexually assaulting a 16-year-old girl in a Jodhpur ashram, is in Indore, his ashram sources said.
It has been alleged that Asaram Bapu is used to evading summons issued either by police or inquiry commissions.
When asked about it, Lamba said, "If he will not respond to our summons, we will issue another one and if he still ignores it, then we may initiate action for his arrest. But that will be considered only after August 30."
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- 6 leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim till 26/11: Report
- Rameswaram waits to give final salute to Dr Abdul Kalam
- DNA analysis of Yakub Memon's final moments in Nagpur Jail
- SC order on Yakub Memon huge disappointment, setback: Owaisi
- Last rites of Gurdaspur attack martyr Baljit Singh in Kapurthala
- APJ Abdul Kalam's funeral to be held in Rameswaram; PM Modi to attend
- Yakub Memon hanged in Nagpur jail: As it happened
- Has President Pranab Mukherjee rejected Yakub Memon's mercy plea?
- SC refuses stay on Yakub Memon's hanging: As it happened
- 2 NDA, 4 UPA leaders were in contact with Dawood Ibrahim before 26/11: Report