Sexual assault case: Trial of Asaram, others to start on Dec 4
Jodhpur: The trial of controversial self-styled godman Asaram Bapu and four other accused in the case of alleged sexual assault on a minor will begin at a court here on December 4.
The District and Sessions Court took cognisance of charges against Asaram and the four co-accused today and deferred the matter for trial till December 4.
Following directions of Rajasthan High Court,?the?trial will take place on day-to-day basis and will be completed in a period of 60 days.
Asaram, 75, was arrested in August on charges of sexually assaulting a minor girl at his Jodhpur ashram and has been in prison here since then.
The other accused in the case are Sanchita Gupta alias Shilpi, the warden of Asaram`s ashram in Chhindwara, his cook Prakash, aide Shiva and ashram director Sharad Chandra.
Manish Vyas, the counsel of the victim, said the court has taken cognisance of all the charges against the accused under which they have been framed.
"Now with all the charges stay put, the court will begin the trial of the case from December 4," Manish said.
All the five accused, inducing Asaram, have been framed under various charges of rape, human trafficking, wrongful confinement and conspiracy under various sections of?IPC, Juvenile Justice Act and Prevention of Children from Sexual?Offence?Act (POCSO).
Before this, Judge Manoj Kumar Vyas had heard arguments by both sides and scrutinised the relevant documents before reserving the verdict on November 23.
The counsels of Asaram and other accused, however, had challenged the charges against them but the court, after considering the facts and circumstances prima facie, did not rely upon the arguments of defence.
Jodhpur police had filed the chargesheet in the case on November 6 after an investigation of 77 days.
The 1,011-page charge sheet comprises 121 documents, and has statements of 58 witnesses.
Besides this case, Asaram and his son Narayan Sai are also accused in a case of sexual assault lodged by two Surat-based sisters.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Revealed - How Indian Army hit terror camps across LoC!
- Pak forces will teach Zee News what real surgical strike is: Hafiz Saeed
- DNA: Indian Army carries out surgical strikes across LoC
- Is it time for India to respond militarily to Pak terror instead of peace talks?
- India used 'Cartosat 2c' satellite in surgical strikes against Pakistan
- Hafiz Saeed threatens Zee News, says Pak forces will teach what real surgical strikes are
- Pak postpones SAARC Summit after five member states pull out of conference: As it happened
- After threatening Zee News, Hafiz Saeed says PM Modi, Ajit Doval staged `surgical strike drama'
- India's surgical strikes: Pakistan buries slain terrorists to hide evidence, asks Masood Azhar to go mum
- Who is Chandu Babulal Chauhan and why India wants to bring him back from Pakistan - Read