Sexual assault case: Victim is mentally unstable, says Asaram`s lawyer Ram Jethmalani
Zee Media Bureau
Jodhpur: Veteran lawyer Ram Jethmalani, who recently celebrated his 90th birthday, said on Monday that minor girl who has accused self-styled godman Asaram Bapu of sexual assault, is mentally unstable.
Ram Jethmalani is defending Asaram in the case. Asaram is accused of allegedly sexually abusing a minor girl in his Jodhpur ashram on August 15. The complaint was filed by her on August 20. The charge has been denied by Asaram but the police claim that they have a water-tight case against him.
Meanwhile, a District and Sessions Court here extended the judicial custody of Asaram Bapu by fourteen days on Monday. He will continue to remain in jail till September 30.
The 72-year-old Asaram was produced in court after his fourteen days` judicial custody ended today.
Earlier, a lower court had rejected the bail plea of Asaram, who was arrested on September 1 from his Indore ashram.
In a related event, the the counsel for the girl today claimed to have received threats from followers of the self-styled godman. Lawyer of the victim, Manish Vyas, claimed that the threat was issued to a friend of the victim`s father asking him to withdraw the statements of her daughter against Asaram.
Referring to an audio clip, Vyas said the girl and her family continue to receive threats from Asaram`s followers. "I have urged the police to ensure adequate security to the family," Vyas said.
With PTI inputs
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- President Mukherjee inspect International Fleet Review at Vishakhapatnam
- Divyansh's death not an accident, but a murder?
- Dr Subhash Chandra Show: How realising the purpose of life gives you direction
- Was Divyansh sexually assaulted and then murdered?
- India takes inspiration from Iran; sets up 'Hanger of Kindness' in Delhi
- VIDEO: Mohammad Amir's hat-trick in Match 2 of PSL 2016
- Oh so cute! PM Narendra Modi pulls Akshay Kumar's son Aarav Kumar's ear!-- See pic
- Muslim personal law can't be subjected to scrutiny by Supreme Court: Jamiat-Ulama-i-Hind
- IPL 2016 auction - As it happened...
- Not Delhi, but Varanasi and Muzaffarpur the most polluted cities in India