Students allege illegal detention by local MLA
Jaipur: A group of students and social
activists, who had gone to Sikar district to assess the impact
of mining activities there, have alleged they were illegally
detained and beaten up by police on the behest of a local
A group of six students, including two girls, had gone on
a study tour with two senior members of rights group People`s
Union for Civil Liberties (PUCL) on June 14 in Nim Ka Thana
area, an activist said.
"When we were returning in our vehicles from Dabla
village at night, we were stopped by police and a few persons
in plain clothes and were forcibly taken to Patan police
station where the SHO Gokul Sharma and other policemen beat us
up and illegally detained us," a senior member of the
organisation Kailash Meena said here.
"Local MLA Ramesh Khandelwal has mining interests and
is setting up a liquor factory in the area. His men have
confronted villagers in past too and our activities
provoked him on June 14," he claimed.
"After illegally detaining us without any reason for
over two hours, they allowed us to go after intervention of
senior officers," he said, adding that they had forwarded a
complaint against the local police officers including the SHO
to Additional Chief Secretary (Home) PK Deb and DGP Harish
Justifying the detention, Gaurav Srivastava,
Superintendent of Police, Sikar, said that the students were
with an anti-social element Sanwal Ram, who was searched by
the police and was arrested that night.
Denying the allegations of harassment he said that the
SHO arrested Sanwal Ram only, and did not harass any one.
"An FIR was lodged against Sanwal Ram who had entered
into the factory of the MLA on June 14 and beat up the manager
on duty," he said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- PM Modi visits Lord Jagannath temple at Puri
- Boyfriend murders DU student Arzu Singh; hides body in his house for three days
- International Fleet Review: India shows off naval prowess in "Operation Demo"
- Can comments on social media against politicians land you in jail?
- Declared unfit for employment, man invents cost-effective electric car called Pixie!
- India brought Afghanistan athletes in chartered flight: Pakistan envoy impressed with SAG 2016
- PM Narendra Modi never disappoints his supporters, here's another example - see pic
- WATCH: When PM Modi took his supporters by surprise, came to meet them standing on car's side foot step
- Year of the Monkey: Know how lucky you are according to Chinese calendar!
- India vs Sri Lanka 2016, 1st T20I: Squads, date, time, TV listing, live streaming