‘Suggest measures against those not investigating rape cases properly’
Jaipur: Rajasthan High Court has asked the state DGP to suggest measures to be taken against police officials who fail to carry out proper investigation into rape cases.
The single judge bench of the high court also asked why exemplary cost should not be imposed for police failure to carry out meaningful investigation into such cases.
Justice KS Ahulwalia passed the order on a petition filed by a prosecutrix seeking fair investigation into a 2011 gang-rape case in which one of the accused is a police official of Bharatpur.
The bench was annoyed with the explanation given by the investigation officer (IO) who tried hard to convince it that the matter is not one of gang-rape and the girl had eloped with a man who had sexually abused her.
The IO also described the girl as one with "loose character".
"This is a shocking and surprising explanation which is totally vague. FIR in the present case has been registered in 2011 and for last two year investigation is going on. This court cannot act as a mute spectator to the insensitivity on the part of the police officials," Justice Ahulwalia said.
"Issue notice to SP Bharatpur as to why this court should not impose exemplary cost on the state of Rajasthan for failure on his part to perform supervisory duties.
"Director General is also directed to look into the case and file an affidavit as to what remedial measures he proposes to take in the facts and circumstances of this case to weed out future recurrence and action against the erring police officials who could not carry out meaningful investigation in the case of gang-rape," reads the order.
The bench directed SP Bharatpur to appear in person in case he fails to file the affidavit as required within a period of seven days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Opposition observes 'black day' to mark one month of demonetisation
- Panel discussion over continuous chaos in Parliament on demonetisation
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- Cashless transactions increased rapidly following note ban
- 800 tourists stranded in Andamans due to heavy rains, Navy launches rescue operation
- Twitter users blast Arvind Kejriwal as he says 'Modi will never appoint a Muslim Vice President no matter what Jung does'
- Yuvraj Singh-Hazel Keech Reception: MS Dhoni, Sourav Ganguly, Virender Sehwag attend lavish party — PHOTOS INSIDE
- Was Rahul Gandhi smiling during Jayalalithaa's funeral? Twitter users share pictures as proof
- Pakistan International Airlines plane from Chitral to Islamabad crashes near Havelian, 48 people dead
- Gali Janardhana Reddy converted Rs 100 crore black money by paying 20% commission, claims driver's suicide note