‘Suggest measures against those not investigating rape cases properly’
Jaipur: Rajasthan High Court has asked the state DGP to suggest measures to be taken against police officials who fail to carry out proper investigation into rape cases.
The single judge bench of the high court also asked why exemplary cost should not be imposed for police failure to carry out meaningful investigation into such cases.
Justice KS Ahulwalia passed the order on a petition filed by a prosecutrix seeking fair investigation into a 2011 gang-rape case in which one of the accused is a police official of Bharatpur.
The bench was annoyed with the explanation given by the investigation officer (IO) who tried hard to convince it that the matter is not one of gang-rape and the girl had eloped with a man who had sexually abused her.
The IO also described the girl as one with "loose character".
"This is a shocking and surprising explanation which is totally vague. FIR in the present case has been registered in 2011 and for last two year investigation is going on. This court cannot act as a mute spectator to the insensitivity on the part of the police officials," Justice Ahulwalia said.
"Issue notice to SP Bharatpur as to why this court should not impose exemplary cost on the state of Rajasthan for failure on his part to perform supervisory duties.
"Director General is also directed to look into the case and file an affidavit as to what remedial measures he proposes to take in the facts and circumstances of this case to weed out future recurrence and action against the erring police officials who could not carry out meaningful investigation in the case of gang-rape," reads the order.
The bench directed SP Bharatpur to appear in person in case he fails to file the affidavit as required within a period of seven days.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Child critically injured as crude bomb explodes in Kolkata
- Indian govt signs historic Naga peace accord with NSCN(I-M)
- Delhi HC issues notice to Kejriwal govt on advertisement expenses
- Allahabad: Controversy over bar owner's appointment as Mahamandaleshwar
- FTII students stage protest at Jantar Mantar in Delhi
- 'Baahubali' becomes first non-Hindi film to cross Rs 500 crore
- 'Bajrangi Bhaijaan' impact: Govt agrees to help deaf-and-dumb Indian girl stranded in Pakistan
- Ban on internet porn: Here's why it is impossible
- Govt doesn't want you to even watch porn in private, blocks over 800 sites