Teenage girl protests marriage, wants to study further
Bundi: Standing up for her right to study, a 16-year-old girl approached the district collector here to complain that her step-mother was forcing her to marry even though she wants to complete studies.
Kosheliya Meena, student of class VII of a government school on Monday complained that her marriage was about to be solemnised with Vijendra, resident of Bajdhali village on April 29 on the occasion of `Akshaya Tritya`, District Collector Shiv Kumar Agrawal said.
The girl said she wants to continue her studies but her step-mother is forcing her to marry, Agrawal told reporters.
On her plea, the directions have been given to social welfare officer Rakesh Verma to provide accommodation, food and other required facilities to the girl in juvenile home, he said.
The collector also directed Department of Women and Child Development officer to restrict the girl`s parents and said if required, police action can also be taken against them, adding overall facilities would be provided to the girl as long as she wants to study.
The girl has been sent to a juvenile home and her exam centre has been shifted to nearby government school from her village, as she is appearing her final examination, Rakesh Verma said.
Kosheliya, a resident of Ajanda village, was supported by her aunt (father`s sister) Modibai, who is an employee here at district treasure office in her fight against her family.
Modibai took her to the district collector after listening to her plight.
Such marriages take place in large number here in the district every year on and around Akshaya Tritya (Aakha Teej, an auspicious date in Hindu custom).
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!