Tension grips Gangapur, six injured in communal clash
Bhilwara: Six persons, including two
policemen, were injured and as many shops torched as a clash
broke out between two communities over a religious processsion
at Gangapur in the district triggering tension in the town,
which observed a bandh on Wednesday.
Trouble erupted in the town when members of one community
hurled stones at those belonging to the other in a bid to
prevent a religious procession being taken out on the eve of
Hanuman Jayanti yesterday, police sources said.
Six shops owned by the minority community were torched
during the clash, in which six persons including two cops
received minor injuries, sources said.
A bandh was observed in the town at a call by the
majority community to protest the clash.
Sources said additional police personnel have been
deployed in the town after tension mounted this afternoon.
Three FIRs have been filed and 20 people of both the
communities have been taken into custody, they said.
However, the situation in the town though tense is under
control with the Superintendent of Police camping there.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Delhi HC backs LG, turns down plea challenging Jung's authority
- No radioactive leak at IGI airport, say AERB and Delhi govt
- WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 declared on wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in
- Log on to wbresults.nic.in, wbchse.nic.in for WB Class 12 (HS) Result 2015 WBCHSE
- Twitter war over IIT Madras row: Smriti Irani challenges Rahul Gandhi to debate over any issue, anywhere