Tent for Congress’ meet set on fire in Jaipur
Jaipur: A tent put up for the three-day `Chintan Shivir` of the Congress was set on fire by two unidentified men who appeared to be drunk, police said Thursday.
Chief Minister Ashok Gehlot was inside the Birla Auditorium nearby to oversee arrangements for the introspection camp of the party when the incident took place Wednesday night.
Some labourers saw a burning stick being thrown by two men on a motorcycle.
"Some labourers were setting up tents near the entrance of the auditorium, where Prime Minister Manmohan Singh and Congress president Sonia Gandhi along with all senior party leaders will attend the party`s Chintan Shivir, when they saw the two men," a police official told IANS.
The bike-borne men fled immediately.
"The tent went up in flames. With help of labourers, the fire was controlled within minutes," said the officer.
An investigation has been launched into the incident.
"Prima-facie, it seems the miscreants were in an inebriated state. We have ordered a probe into whether it was a pre-planned and intentional act," said the official.
Security has been stepped up inside and outside the Birla Auditorim, he added.
Aimed at paving the way for the return of the Congress-led United Progresive Alliance for a third consecutive term in 2014, the Chintan Shivir is scheduled to take place from Jan 18-20 here.
The conclave is expected to draw a roadmap for the party to counter the BJP in the assembly polls and the Lok Sabha elections.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- There will be earthquake if I speak on demonetisation: Rahul Gandhi
- Zee Media Exclusive: A reality check on public opinion on notes ban!
- Panel discussion on the decision of demonetisation
- DNA: Is political system root cause of corruption in the country?
- DNA: Analysis of the letter written by defence minister to Kolkata CM?
- PoK erupts with 'azadi' slogans; Pakistan Army brutally thrashes protesters
- Mongolia seeks India's financial aid, Chinese official media says it's 'insane'
- SC asks govt if demonetisation was confidential; to judge if policy unconstitutional
- OMG! Man punches Kangaroo in face to save dog – Watch video
- Aamir Khan as Mahavir Singh Phogat in 'Dangal' title track looks phenomenal!