Three of family commit suicide after panchayat boycott
Udaipur: Three members of a family committed suicide in a Rajasthan village after a panchayat boycotted them for allegedly practising witchcraft, police said Sunday.
Khetnath, 60, his wife Nathibai, 55, and their son Naresh, 27, killed themselves late Friday. They were residents of Gaamdapal village near Salumber town, over 60 km from here.
"We came to know about it Saturday. We were informed by the relatives of the family that they were not opening the door of the house. We found them hanging. A suicide note was found. It said they were forced to commit suicide after a panchayat ordered social boycott," a police officer told a news agency.
"They (villagers) were forcing me to either leave the village or commit suicide," Khetnath said in the suicide note.
"The social boycott is really tough to handle as villagers avoid talking to us and no one is ready to offer us drinking water or food to eat. Life is really miserable," he said.
According to police, a caste panchayat ordered boycott and imposed a fine of Rs.5,000 on them June 25 after Khetnath`s brother Lalunath alleged that he and his family members practised witchcraft.
Khetnath had also sent a letter to the chief minister, the district collector and the human rights commission alleging that 12 people, including his brother, were responsible for the social boycott and were forcing him to leave the village.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- Highlights - India vs England 2nd ODI in Cuttack
- Donald Trump to be sworn in as 45th US President today
- Etah: School bus collides with truck, several children killed
- J&K: LeT militant gunned down by security forces in Bandipora
- Exclusive: Srinagar freezes at minus 3; common man struggles for basic commodities
- WATCH: MS Dhoni asks Jasprit Bumrah to go easy after he hurriedly ran out England skipper Eoin Morgan
- WATCH: How MS Dhoni saved Yuvraj Singh's wicket with another successful DRS review
- IND vs ENG, 2nd ODI: Yuvraj Singh silences critics with 14th ODI hundred, fourth against England — WATCH
- India vs England: After Virender Sehwag, Sachin Tendulkar gives Piers Morgan cricketing gyan
- Donald Trump's Inauguration Day: As it happened