Trapped in tunnel, man rescued after 6 days
Udaipur, Rajasthan: A 40-year-old pump operator was rescued Wednesday after six days of being trapped in an under construction tunnel in Rajasthan`s Devas village near here.
Narayan was trapped approximately 300 feet below the ground when part of the 90-metre-long tunnel came crashing down Thursday afternoon, a district official said.
The tunnel is being constructed for an irrigation project to supply water to Udaipur city from Devas village, about 30 km from here.
People came to know that Narayan was stuck inside only after a headcount of workers was taken Thursday evening. Rescue workers established contact with Narayan Friday by pushing a four-inch pipe through the debris.
"We passed oxygen and food to Narayan through this pipe," the official said.
A 22-metre tunnel had to be dug to bring Narayan out.
"He was brought out at 3.45 am and seems to be in a stable condition," Udaipur District Collector Hemant Gera said.
More from India
More from World
More from Sports
More from Entertaiment
- India mourns Lance Naik Hanumanthappa Koppad's death: Who said what
- Came to Mumbai from Pakistan to select 26/11 attack sites, David Headley tells Mumbai court
- ISI trains JeM, LeT terrorists: Former Pak president Pervez Musharraf
- 'Afzal Guru amar rahe', 'Kashmir lekar rahenge' slogans raised at Press Club of India
- Siachen braveheart loses battle for life; India pays homage to Lance Naik Hanumanthappa, PM Modi 'devastated'